The door opens to an audio world
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The door opens to an audio world

Alright so currently I only have Traktor Pro installed and a good selection of tracks. I planned to Dee Jay as a hobby only, but one day I was asked to play at a party. So I hauled my desktop and monitor and mixed. To my surprise, people enjoyed it. They setup everything so all I did was mix with my keyboard. I got some strange looks when they saw me keyboard mixing, but it turned out great.

Point is, I want to get a little bit more serious now. Getting random gig invites. So I thought I should get my own gear. Now, I don't know squat about what setup to use or anything. All I know is how to work Traktor Pro. However, I do know that I need a sound card of some sort along with a midi mixer. Heres where I have a problem, I'm on a very low budget and can barely afford both of them.

Heres my compilation of questions I have for you gentlemen:

-Exactly what gear do I need?
    -What is the minimum I can spend? (Quality gear, nothing too shitty)
    -General tips for a newcomer?

I apologize if theres a sticky about this information somewhere. I looked around and didn't find anything.

Thanks -

search the forums for beginner threads the list is endless, the usual beginner setup around here is usally the vci 100se a audio 2 dj and a pair of cans just have a look around the boards see what takes your fancy if you've got any other questions just message me

Yes, I think I'm going to get the Audio 2 DJ. As for the midi, is the VCI100 the only option? It's way out of my 'affordable' spectrum.

Is that all I need to get started? Midi Controller? Sound Card?

Tech Wizard

take a look at the audio 2 dj and a numark mixtrack. I would use those two for until you are using the set up till you can't really use it any more. Then upgrade later if you really want. That should do it for awhile since you have traktor pro.

Tech Guru

i have a numark stealth in mint condition with the box and everything. $180. I no longer use it as I mix with 4 decks instead of 2.

but I use an audio2, so if you get a new soundcard, i would definitely suggest it.
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

Alright then I guess I'll be getting the Numark Mixtrack seeing as how it's $150 and the audio2.

Any cables that I would need or is it all included?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Asand View Post
    i have a numark stealth in mint condition with the box and everything. $180. I no longer use it as I mix with 4 decks instead of 2.

but I use an audio2, so if you get a new soundcard, i would definitely suggest it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Input View Post
    Alright then I guess I'll be getting the Numark Mixtrack seeing as how it's $150 and the audio2.

Any cables that I would need or is it all included?
    I would seriously consider the stealth DJ Asand is offering. That's a pretty good deal.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

The stealth beats the pants off the mixtrack. I've seen complaint after complaint about the mixtrack, and heard pretty much nothing but good things about the stealth.

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I would seriously consider the stealth DJ Asand is offering. That's a pretty good deal.

Trust me I would go for it, but I've never really bought anything online. I've always been more comfortable going to stores and getting things myself. Do I need a PayPal account?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

If he'll take Paypal you don't have to have a Paypal account just a credit/debit card. If you don't have either of those you will need a Paypal account and you'll have to have it tied to your checking account. Then you can send him an echeck through Paypal, most sellers will hold the item until the echeck clears though.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast