MacBook Pro problem with Dual Layer DVDS

Default MacBook Pro problem with Dual Layer DVDS

I have since I updated to 10.5.3 have had the problem that it would not read any dual layer dvds anymore. I have googled around, and it seems that the problem is with either the OS itself or a firmware that was upgraded along with the updates. Does anyone else have similar problems with this? I really need / want to re-install OSX on my machine to have a clean install (I do a total re-install every year, on all my machines).

And here is a complementary question, is it possible to install TWO instances of Panther on the same machine somehow? I know its possible with 10.4 and 10.5, but I would like to have TWO partitions, with TWO 10.5 (one for gfx, and one for music)

Thank god for google search; Not a solution to my DL DVD problem, but maybe a solution to install the damn thing without the drive. All I need to do is to make an image.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...2292&lsrc=osxh

Just as a placeholder, in case someone gets into the same problems as myself.

EDIT: WEEE im a DJ TT PRO NOW!!! 100 posts passed!

you should be able to if you make two partitions. If you have a spare HD and about 4 hrs to kill, give it a shot.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Okey, so installing from an external device, only works if you have a Firewire drive. But it reminded me how I always had my old computers setup, with a bootable partition with installer images etc etc. Now that was on PC, so lets not get into that.

What I did, was to create a SMALL partition on my macbook, just bit more space than the image will need. Then I had to make a DMG image, and thats where the problem is. I can not create the image from a dvd that does not work. Well, since I own the damn thing (the OS) I figured, it can not hurt to download it, cause I already paid, right?

So, when I was finished downloading the image, I selected the newly created partition in Disk Utility and then clicked the restore button. Selected the source and the destination and clicked the erase box. NO WORKY WORKY!

Easy solution to that problem! It says that the image needs to be scanned, so I selected the image, then from the menu I clicked on Scan and there it did the scan!

I did what I had done before, et voila, it worked! The image is now on my spare partition.

Reboot, Press alt, and select the partition that I just created, and in less than a minute, I was inside the installer!

This is Sweet!

So, here we are, 2 installs of OSX on the same machine on different partitions! One for musika and one for grafiks! This is damn sweet, and it was damn simple as well to be honest, more straightforward than to install a dual vista or dual vista/xp whatever, no damn bootloaders that fuck up and such

What I did was installed one OSX from the small drive that I had made before, then I booted into that and resized the big partition into 2 equal sized hdds, rebooted into the small partition, installed another instance, et voila, katching!

It is annoying that you have to press the alt button everytime you wanna boot, but I rather have that, then a MBR fuckup like in Vista

I told you it would work...now I have to try it too.

I've only use osx for about 2 weeks and its the best thing that has happen to me, next to the vci-100.

....Micro-Sucks!
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |