earplug recommendations
    Tech Guru

Default earplug recommendations

So I need to invest in some professional DJ earplugs. I'm sure this topic has been covered but just wondering if anyone can recommend some. Laidback Luke played in the club I play at the other week and he uses earplugs that double up as DJ headphones. They ran into a splitter which I imagine controls the level in each ear. Does anyone know about these earplugs/headphones? Like if you use regular headphones will they still be good to use as earplugs while DJing? Also are they good as regular earplugs for general clubbing purposes?

Any input on DJing earplugs in general would be good.

Thanks

he used inear monitors, dont know much about it.

i got myself some elacin er15 not too long ago and love them.. search the forums and the main page there is a lot of help..
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

Tech Guru

I know this is an old thread now but just wanted to bump it up as I still need to get some pro ear plugs. I'm not too keen on the in ear monitor idea as I don't think they will fit my style of mixing.
    A lot of people on the net recommend the ER-15's but after speaking to a few people who actually own a pair and after reading a few reviews pretty much all of them have said they are shit hot for use in the club when just as a punter but when it comes to actually mixing it can be quite tricky and requires a lot of getting used to.
    I just want to know if there are any others out there that rival or even out perform the ER-15's? I don't mind spending the money, I've got a constant ringing in my ears from a summer of bashing the fuck out of my ear drums none-stop! If i want to keep this life style up for years to come I seriously need something that'll do the job... WELL!

anyway, if anyone knows THEE BEST ear plugs out there for DJing please fill me in, or if the ER-15's are pretty much as good as it gets let me know.

thanks

Tech Mentor

You can wear a cheap set of foam earplugs under your headphones, that's helped me some nights. You could also get a set of headphones that has good sound isolation, like the sennheiser 280s.
    I've read that you can go to an audiologist and get a set of sound attenuators custom molded, then DJ with those in and your existing setup. I think that would be expensive though.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nada View Post
    You can wear a cheap set of foam earplugs under your headphones, that's helped me some nights. You could also get a set of headphones that has good sound isolation, like the sennheiser 280s.
    I've read that you can go to an audiologist and get a set of sound attenuators custom molded, then DJ with those in and your existing setup. I think that would be expensive though.
    Custom moulded earplugs is what I'm talkin about man. I don't care about the expense, I wanna save my hearing! Can't be DJing with foam earplugs, that's some amateur shit, and no matter how isolated your cans are you can't escape the club sound system... I dont know anyone who DJ's with both the L & R cups on their ears the whole time throughout their set... and walks around with their headphones on when they're not DJing in a club.
    I need pro custom moulded earplugs & everyone seems to say the ER-15's are the way to go yet people still say they are hard to get used to. I trying to establish whether there is anything else that has a more natural performance & doesnt require "getting used to".

Thanks

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

http://www.bigearinc.com/home/Default.aspx

These are big in motorcycle circles for drowning out wind noise in a helmet. I've never heard of anybody complaining of them being hard to get used to.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

i got a pair of etymotics baby blues for 20 bucks off ebay they work perfectly for me
    Last edited by DJMilk3y; 10-16-2010 at 09:12 AM.

ya, at least start with those - i did and im so glad. super cheap, gets the job done, works well with cans on, and youre protecting your ears until you do bite the bullet and find the right pair of expensive molded plugs
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

Tech Mentor

I wear mil-spec earplugs that look a lot like those ER20s. They're $12 on Amazon btw, I'm going to pick some up because my current pair is bright orange. Surprisingly nobody's said anything to me about them, even though wearing them felt goofy at first.