Equipment with an S4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Equipment with an S4

So when the S4 comes out I am upgrading to that over my RMX. Right now I am just using the RMX, Korg nanoPad, and Kontrol.

My question is, is replacing the RMX with the S4 enough? Is there any other thing you would add to that set up, definitely keeping the Kontrol for extra knobs. Was thinking about ditching the nanoPad for a Midifighter.

What are your thoughts?

At the very most i would add an X1 to the S4.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Use it, find out what the limitations are and take it from there
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Wizard

I feel like a midifigher will be fun with it, Kontrol obv is good for the extra knobs and whatnot.

I know the S4 has the cue pts on it, but I'd rather them not be so tight.

midifighter! midifighter!! Even if the S4 has all the buttons you need, mashing arcade buttons is just too damn fun. Throw your cue points or your sampler on there, have some preconfigured effects, or whatnot....

Tech Guru

In this case midifighter for sure. Having those 8 cue points per deck is key. The X1 is dope since it's so easy to make cue points on the fly and delete them quickly to, but i'm sure you could make your own controller assignment that works for you. Plus the midifighter is a great bang for your buck and I think it's cool for people to see something that looks seemingly simple and ordinary and using it for music. Who would have thought you could do a crazy set with just buttons until Ean did his 10 minute set with it.

a TT and a midifighter

I'm banking on testing it out and playing with it before any additional upgrades are needed. Sounds like a lot of stuff is built into it, and when you need more, that's when you should be getting something "in addition to" not just because it be fun.

Form follows function as they say. If you don't have a need for a piece of a equipment, even if it's really really cool, you don't want to try and force it in where it's not needed.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    At the very most i would add an X1 to the S4.
    you'd recon NI have you on the X1 promo payroll!! haha

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigC View Post
    I'm banking on testing it out and playing with it before any additional upgrades are needed. Sounds like a lot of stuff is built into it, and when you need more, that's when you should be getting something "in addition to" not just because it be fun.

Form follows function as they say. If you don't have a need for a piece of a equipment, even if it's really really cool, you don't want to try and force it in where it's not needed.
    I agree... The S4 offers enough to use it on its own for sure.

Incorporating an X1 or MF would be to taste... Depends on the direction you take with the S4.

Adding A Midifighter:
    If you use a MF now and you need the lightening fast buttons then the S4 buttons are not gonna cut it. They need a lot more pressure than the MF buttons and an Ean style routine would be hard (not impossible) so adding a MF would be best if you need to access all the HotCues and do some serious juggling.

Adding An X1:
    The X1 is perfect for hotcue juggling as weve seen Shiftee and Ean do so the X1 is more versatile in this respect. This would free the S4 buttons to do all the Sampler stuff BUT i think the best scenario would be to use the X1 as a dedicated Sample controller.
    Switch the X1 to Midi mode and with the right tsi you can get right in the Sampler and have control over the Load/Play/trigger functions and the sample length with the buttons, You can use the encoders to control slot volumes and FX D/W.
    If your gonna use all 8 slots and really work them hard the X1 is really intuitively laid out for Sample use.
    I can see a lot of people doing this.

Something i know a few peeps will hear loudly is that if you do use an X1 for sample functions you can then opt to use all the S4 sample buttons to access Hotcues 5-8 thus having 8 Hot Cue buttons..!!!

Saying all that you can do it all on the S4. You dont need anything else and its possible to do it without a million modifiers and double functions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast