Can anyone recommend a controller to go with Traktor Pro?
    Tech Student

Default Can anyone recommend a controller to go with Traktor Pro?

Hi,

I bought Traktor Pro at the weekend and am looking for a good controller to go with it. I am happy to spend up to £500 on one.

I have seen this which looks pretty good:

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/vestax/TR1

I'm not too fussed about the lack of job wheels and a cross fader.

Thanks

You could check out the VCI-100SE, offered here by DJ TechTools, lots of users here have them and rave about them...i'm buying one when my expense check comes in.
    A little bit of gold and a pager.

Two X1's and a mixer perhaps if you don't mind not having jog-wheels? That would be my choice if I was going that route.

Otherwise, there are literally a TON of options out there for you. It's really going to take some personal research and time to understand what is out there, and how it will react with your style of mixing.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Mentor

I think the genre you play and style of mixing you perform has alot to do with what controller would be best for you. Do you use alot of cue points and want alot of buttons with faders? maybe the Akai mpd24, more faders and knobs? M-audio uc-33e. both of them would be under £500. then again there is a massive amount of midi controllers outs there for alot of needs depending on your mixing techniques

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

If you don't know what style of mixing you want to do yet I suggest the VCI-100se. It has a pretty good resale value if you decide later to sell it, but I doubt you will.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

+1 for the VCI-100SE. you can't go wrong with this controller.
    Technics 1210 MKII (x2) ~ Pioneer DDJ-RX ~ Allen & Heath Xone 2:02 ~ Traktor Pro 2 ~ Rekordbox DJ ~ Novation Dicer

Don't forget you'll need a soundcard as well - but £500 is more than enough for a VCi100 and an audio2 - like the others said it depends o what style of dj'ing you'll be doing - 4 decks etc...
    SC | MC

Tech Guru

Behringer DDM4000 ?
    It will be good to practice at home
    You can pair another controller latter to complete what you lack control with the DDM4000, and then, when you feel ready to play at gigs, you can buy a good audio interface with 4 stereo outs for external mixing and use the house's mixer for EQ & Volume

I've tried a few different midi controllers with Traktor, and in my opinion the VCI-100 partnered with DJTT firmware and mapping is unparalleled. The TR1 you suggested looks reasonably well designed, but it lacks the expressive performance capabilities of having the jog wheels and 4 in line buttons for hotcues per deck along the bottom (just wait until you try fader FX mode and juggle modes!)

On the other hand I don't know what your style of mixing is so the VCI might not be the one for you. All i can say is that it has served me well and continues to do so, along with many other member of this forum!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Student

Thanks for the replies. I wouldn't normally be using all four decks, 3 at anyone time is usually my maximum, although this is the first time i've used something like Traktor so that may change in the future. I really like the look of the VCI-100SE I've already got an Audio 4 interface.

Roll on payday!