Cant choose which Macbook Pro to buy?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cant choose which Macbook Pro to buy?

Hey guys, well I've been lurking through this site for ages now, and finally decided to join! This is a really great DJ site, and so far I've learnt alot! I just have one problem which has been on my mind for a while, and thats which Macbook Pro should I get? Its a long explanation, but please give me your suggestions

Ok at the moment I'm in a serious need of a upgrade! I'm currently running TSP on a HP DV7 17" with Vista. Its a great laptop for regular usage, but not for Djing! Lately its been getting really irritating lugging this huge laptop around for gigs and to clubs, so I've decided its time for an much needed upgrade. After much research I've decided to go the Mac route. I was debating going for a suped up Hp envy 14", (cos I'm used to PC) but the new Mac Pro won me over. My only problem now is which size? I've checked out all the Macs, and both the 13" and 15" look good, but they both have good, and bad points IMO.

Looking at the 13" its ultra potrable which for Djing is excellent but for everyday use is a bit small, plus its running on Intel Core 2 Duo, why not at least Intel I3? Isn't it a bit outdated and slow compared? On the other hand the 15" is great for Djing and everyday use, and its running on Intel I5, but alot more expensive. (I dont mind paying more though) My only gripe is that the 15" might be a bit big for Djing as most of the Pro Dj's I see are using the 13"? Phew ok glad I got all that out! So guys which do you think would be the better smarter choice? Thanks in advance guys.

Dj Dustin V

I'd go with the 15" if I was fortunate enough to be able to buy a new macbook pro Besides the extra screen real estate and the faster processor, the 15" comes with the option of upgrading to the non-glossy screen. It's $150 more but it's worth it -- the default screen on the 15" (and the only screen on the 13") is extremely reflective, which can be a pain in a dark bar/club environment. You'll be constantly fighting the glare from the screen.

You could write a book on the different processors and the way they are built, but I don't want to do that. Buy what you can afford to buy. Is the core i5 faster, yes, but it cannot be compared to the core 2 duo because they are built entirely differently. The core 2 duo isn't slow and will still handle the job, but if buying an i5 makes you more comfortable, then have at it.

I have a new laptop with a core i5 and i still use one with a core 2 duo everyday and the difference isn't going to blow your mind.
    A little bit of gold and a pager.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I would recommend the 15 with a non-glossy screen.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I have used 13" mb, 13/15/17" mbp matted and glossly. TBH i have never had a problem with the screens being glossly. For djing I prefer the 13 mbp for audio/video/design I go with 15 or 17
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

I use the 13 for DJing but most DJs with MacBooks have the 15. The 13 DOES feel a tiny bit small but all laptops are compromises, and I can open it in economy when flying and get some work done, so there's the trade-off.
    I blog at: Digital DJ Tips and I'm on Twitter, YouTube and Facebook

I have 13", it's perfect. If you do decide to go for the 15", don't forget to go for the extra high resolution screen, so you have some more pixels for those 4 decks and FX units!
    MBP 13" - Kontrol S4 - nanoKontrol - DHJ-500 - Hercules DJ Console MK1
    Find me on: Facebook, Soundcloud
    Quote Originally Posted by space monkey View Post
    Hi Karlos! I have a lawnmower, do you like grapes?

I've had a 13" for about 18 months (pretty much since the unibody pros were released ) and it's great for DJing. At home I use a 19" external monitor for a little extra space in the Traktor browser and so I can see a bit more of the wave form but tbh the screen size is ample for most things including using Traktor.

The glossy screen isn't a problem except in direct sunlight They didn't start using them across the board just to piss us all off, they make things look good in a lot of situations!

When it comes to general everyday use I also can't emphasise enough how fantastic a tool Exposé is for making best use of space on a small screen, a four finger swipe down the trackpad and you're in another window in a flash. There's a reason they've started selling the 'magic trackpad' to mac desktop users!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    I'd go with the 15" if I was fortunate enough to be able to buy a new macbook pro Besides the extra screen real estate and the faster processor, the 15" comes with the option of upgrading to the non-glossy screen. It's $150 more but it's worth it -- the default screen on the 15" (and the only screen on the 13") is extremely reflective, which can be a pain in a dark bar/club environment. You'll be constantly fighting the glare from the screen.
    Yeah i also like the non glossy screen, but $150? The deciding factor would be usability and practicality. I want my Mac to be fast and strong, so I'm def looking at the strength so I have a less chance of any crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rokku View Post
    You could write a book on the different processors and the way they are built, but I don't want to do that. Buy what you can afford to buy. Is the core i5 faster, yes, but it cannot be compared to the core 2 duo because they are built entirely differently. The core 2 duo isn't slow and will still handle the job, but if buying an i5 makes you more comfortable, then have at it.

I have a new laptop with a core i5 and i still use one with a core 2 duo everyday and the difference isn't going to blow your mind.
    Thanks Rokku, you know the Hp I'm using now is a Core 2 Duo, and to me its slow, or could be alot faster. Money isn't a huge factor for me, in the end its about which one would be the best for Djing, and everyday use, (movies, internet, music, other programs) If I know that the 13" is fast, and wont freeze or crash on me during a set, then maybe its the better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    I have used 13" mb, 13/15/17" mbp matted and glossly. TBH i have never had a problem with the screens being glossly. For djing I prefer the 13 mbp for audio/video/design I go with 15 or 17
    Ok cool, but I wont be using ti just for Djing, also for other stuff, and I looked at the 17" buts thats tooo big, my current laptop is a 17" and its huge, great in the beginning but now its just a hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedsight View Post
    I have 13", it's perfect. If you do decide to go for the 15", don't forget to go for the extra high resolution screen, so you have some more pixels for those 4 decks and FX units!
    Yeah I'm looking at that. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    I've had a 13" for about 18 months (pretty much since the unibody pros were released ) and it's great for DJing. At home I use a 19" external monitor for a little extra space in the Traktor browser and so I can see a bit more of the wave form but tbh the screen size is ample for most things including using Traktor.

The glossy screen isn't a problem except in direct sunlight They didn't start using them across the board just to piss us all off, they make things look good in a lot of situations!

When it comes to general everyday use I also can't emphasise enough how fantastic a tool Exposé is for making best use of space on a small screen, a four finger swipe down the trackpad and you're in another window in a flash. There's a reason they've started selling the 'magic trackpad' to mac desktop users!
    Thanks fullenglishpint, now it seems like its a 50/50 between what ppl think, ha ha ha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast