How do you make split-screen DJ vids?

Default How do you make split-screen DJ vids?

Whenever Ean holds a contest I notice a number of DJs use a split-screen method to show the (in most cases) Traktor screen, as well as their hands on the controller.

What screen cap software is typically used for this, and are there specific settings to get it looking just right?

(Truth be told, I'd like to produce a vid that looks like Ean's... simple and clean)

like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8eB8...ayer_embedded#!

Care to share Ean?

Any screen grab software will do. I use Snapz Pro for the mac.

Then it's about multiple cameras, one on the wide shot, one on the overhead, one picking up other shots (hand held maybe).

HDSLR cameras give the best picture for the budget. If you know any one with a Canon 5D or 7D or 550D then get it in.

Record the sound internally on Traktor then sync it all up at then end. Sometimes a clap of the hands in picturewith all cameras running makes it easier to sync up in the edit.

You will then need editing software obviously.

I like Final Cut Pro or Premiere Pro CS4 or CS5. Recently i've been using Premiere Pro because of the dynamic link it has with After Effects.

Possibly something basic like imovie or windows movie maker would do but i wouldn't know cause i've never used em.

Hope that helps.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    i've been using Premiere Pro because of the dynamic link it has with After Effects.
    these traktor guys and their effects....!

jk i know what you meant
    Last edited by theory28; 10-04-2010 at 05:04 PM. Reason: add bold
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Excellent advice....

Does Snapz output to .mov?

Yes it does.

I then use a free piece of software called mpeg streamclip (google it) to convert my finished .mov video to mpeg4 to upload to youtube.

mpeg4 is the best compression with the smallest file size.

google tips on best mpeg4 settings for youtube
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.