Controller Dilemma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Controller Dilemma

It pains me to ask this but I check in here every day and it never ceases to amaze me how much of a helpful board this is and this is starting to keep me awake at night :'-(

I'm a 'veteran' who used to be a pro-dj till about 10 years ago when I got married, had kids and realised I had to start earning more corn to get the bigger house, better car, big tv, oh and feed the wife and kids too.......

I still have most of my vinyl (c.5000 rekkids) but for the last couple of years have been embracing the digi-dj revolution. More of a hobbyist now with only occasional gigs (which is great), ableton has been my software of choice but around 6 months ago I bought Traktor Pro and a RMX for messing around in my tunes room. The RMX is ok, I've mapped Live and Traktor to it but I'm now getting a bit bored and want to take it to the next level.

My problem: I love Ableton, I know it inside out and have a great little setup (use a launchpad too, it's a lot of fun) but I'm really digging Traktor and think I could potentially have even more fun with it.

I want the best of both worlds and need to buy a controller that will do me for both Live and Traktor but I cannot decide what to buy

I'm torn between waiting on the S4 or going for the XoneDX but am open to suggestions from anyone else. Would really appreciate some help guys, I wouldn't ask but I wake up every day and change my mind

Thx in advance

Are you planning to use Live and Traktor simultaneously or separately?
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

if you love vinyl and want to keep real. Serato w/SL3 or Traktor Scratch should do the trick and add a midi controller for fx's and cue points
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Are you planning to use Live and Traktor simultaneously or separately?
    Separately, but you have got me thinking that there are creative options there if both could be run in tandem...

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    if you love vinyl and want to keep real. Serato w/SL3 or Traktor Scratch should do the trick and add a midi controller for fx's and cue points
    I'd really only like the option of using vinyl but I tend to rip and warp vinyl when it tickles my fancy

Quote Originally Posted by aviator View Post
    Separately, but you have got me thinking that there are creative options there if both could be run in tandem...
    That's the latest thing I've been experimenting with! Read this post

http://www.djtechtools.com/2008/04/0...-with-ableton/

for details on how to do it (can take a lot of tweaking but works in the end with surprisingly low latency). If you wanted you could even output all 4 decks of traktor into separate channels within ableton and manipulate them independently.

When it comes to picking a controller, that's a very tough one. My personal opinion is that since the 2 softwares are so radically different, the best approach (especially if running the 2 simultaneously!) is always going to be having independent controllers for each, say a launchpad or APC and a VCI-100 or S4 (you lucky bugger )
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5

Tech Wizard

@fullenglishpint - Thanks for reminding me about this post, I saw it a while ago but forgot about it

I've got the launchpad anyway so I guess then it comes down to the S4 v's the DX then? Looks like I need a comparison list with the pros & cons of each....

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by aviator View Post
    I've got the launchpad anyway so I guess then it comes down to the S4 v's the DX then? Looks like I need a comparison list with the pros & cons of each....

I would say the S4 over the DX. I was very close to getting a DX a while back, there are some good threads on the NI board from folks who got one. One of the biggest issues with it was the way the effets knobs are laid out. They are set up for Itch. The DX also the "tap" issue so make sure you get a newer model. Lastly for me it was the jog wheels not being touch sensitive. If you have the patience Serato announced that Itch will have Bridge/Ableton integration in 2011. But as fars as controllers go, the S4 is tough to beat....it's also cost less. Mixarchitekt I believe is the A&H/Traktor DJ that came up with a good TP mapping and had some great discussion on the DX and TP.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

I'd just like to add that if it's a case of S4 vs DX, the S4 not only comes with the new version of Traktor which everyone else will be clamouring for for months until its general release, but is also likely to have mappings and support from the DJTT team. As a VCI-100SE owner I can't stress enough how helpful it is having their help!

Tech Wizard

thats a good point, I'll have one tight mapping and one that I'll need to do myself if I get the S4.

Also, I can probably get the S4 and a case for a bit less ££ than the DX

I'm starting to convince myself...........

But will I change my mind again tomorrow? :'(

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Also:
    Hit Shift button & "another" and the whole S4 is a Midi controller for Ableton (or anything else).
    You can swap between S4 NHL mode and Ableton Midi mode seamlessly during your set.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast