Ground Issue with VCI-100 SE and cpu

Default Ground Issue with VCI-100 SE and cpu

I have a weird issue with my VCI. It started about a week ago out of nowhere...so now i have to have my laptop unplugged(not-charging) in order for my VCI-100 SE to function correctly b/c when plugged up the damn platter do not work unless i touch something on the VCI-100 that is metal at the same time...but this only happens when my laptop is plugged in. It's rather aggravating. what are my options? Is my VCI-100 messed up or is it my cpu...b/c other than the laptop being unplugged it also works fine when i unplug the usb that powers my audio interface...I'm thinkin' that it is an issue with my mother board supplying enough power to run the vci-100, ext HD, and interface at the same time...if so, would a power adapter for the vci-100 fix that problem and where can i find one?

do you have numark IO sound card & a pc laptop?
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

That sounds like you have some conduction emissions from your laptop,

What brand Laptop is it, and is the power supply the original ?

You could try getting a ferrite core and looping the power supply cable through it a few times.

I have an HP dv6000 media running XP Pro...power supply is not the original but when i pulled up the specs online it is the direct OEM replacement as far as power in and out of unit...like i said it has been working fine until about a week ago and i've been using the vci-100 for almost 6 months...do you think the rack power conditioners would help out with the problem or do you think it is directly related to my cpu being a hp

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    do you have numark IO sound card & a pc laptop?
    no i have a U46DJ audio interface that i also use with mixvibes

Well the VCI-100 does have a Ground connector on the back, doesn't it? I remember a note that was shipped with my VCI that said what to do when you are facing ground issues. I didn't find anything about it in the online manual though. Have a look at your user documentation.

yeah, i guess i could actually ground it to my audio interface...i didn't think about that. I was thinking about buying a usb hub that gets DC power so that i can run multiple controllers...thanks for the ground reminder

Tech Convert

HI DjLiquitATL,
    I know its a really old thread but just wanted to ask if you found the fix for the ground issue because i'm facing the exact same problem when using the platters. They dont work unless I touch some metal parts on the controller.
    I have a NI Audio 4 Dj. As you mentioned we could ground it with the ground connector on the vci 100. I dont wanna sound lame but does that mean I simply connect a wire from the 'Gnd' of vci 100 to the 'Gnd' of the Audio 4 Dj ??
    If not, what else can I do ? This is killing me !!