Upgrade to Traktor S4 or CDJ's - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

When I first started reading this thread just now I saw "Im planning to pick up an S4 in the future." posted from Photo and I was like "wtf I thought he had one!" then I saw the date .

I love my S4! I hope that when I get more comfortable / comfortable enough to DJ at a club, the owners will not look down on me as I use "digital" DJ equipment.

To be honest though, aren't most DJs using digital equipment anyway? I see people using 1200s that are connected to their laptops... what the hells that considered? They aren't even playing off Vinyl, they're just pretending to.

I truly feel fakers < true to themselves people (for a lack of better words).

Hopefully the timecode will come with the new Traktor Pro.

And something I definitely need to work on is my Serato. In a club (the couple I've done), I'm not even sure how to cue up tracks using just a laptop (for Serato).

Tech Wizard

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Gryz View Post
    Do you really think that even if your music is sick and you draw a nice crowd, a club will turn you down for using a controller over their CDJs?
    I ran a small lounge/club for 5 years and never turned down a Dj for what gear they had. It was always about the person, their music, and their following. A lot of Dj's are moving to controllers out here. It is way more practical and you do not have to depend on the club to have all their gear in order as well. CDJs get torn up out here in the tropics.

Back on topic. I would get the S4 anyday. I bought one last fall and it is still my best new toy. Used on a New Years Eve gig and it was flawless. The mixer that is...

i dunno about you guys but i fave spent a fortune over the last few years on finding my perfect DJ setup. Here is my list

Behringer bcd 3000 (introduction to digital DJing)
    Numark stealth control (Great solid mixer with Virtual dj then traktor pro) used a usb soundcard with it for monitors not really any good when you break it or lose it)
    Numark Omni control (Great mixer with traktor pro built in soundcard solid as via multiple PC laptop setups)

Started getting more gigs well paid on Costa Del Sol in Spain and Gibraltar so took the plung and converted to a mac setup (Normal job is a IT support guy last 20 years)

Then macbook pro setup with omni control and NI Maschine (Using DJ Endo's wicked mapping) Brilliant portable setup turnup at a club setup ready to roll in 5 mins really nice to kinda breakout of the traditional dj setup adding percussion with the Maschine and wavs via Traktor pro etc brilliant i have evolved a bit in the last few years all good.

Then i got all flash and bought a Numark NS7. Great piece of kit but Scratch sux and carrying it to gigs is a total pain in the arse.

I had a real good go on a vci arcade type controler with some Canadian guy who walked up while i was doing a gig in Puerto Banus in Spain (One of those make a difference gigs type thing, Flash millionaires around and bottles of Crystal etc very cool
    compared to my Omni control but i thought i had chosen my route and spent enough money.

So S4 mhhhhh damn had to drool over the dubfire videos for months so of course had to have one. I am making enough money DJ'ing full time to pay my rent and living expenses.

I use nothing now but a S4 Macbook pro and when logistics isnt a problem I use the NI Maschine too. I have weighed up the pros and cons in terms of turning up at a club with loads of flight cases and being in practicle and also the aspect of packing away and out the door while the CDJ 1000 guys judge you and look down their noses at you ;-)

If you are serious about DJ'ing in my opinion the S4 is absolutely an industry standard pre requisite. Turn up at a gig with an S4 and macbook and trust me people will take you seriously. I also weighed up getting the new Pioneer traktor mixer but the loop decks on the s4 software are in my opinion what makes the S4 stand out to anything in the foreseeable future.

Since getting the S4 I have changed as a DJ. I mix mostly electro house/Breaks/Dubstep and every time i setup my s4 i get exited as i can really jam with my setup like never b4.

I have since sold all my old gear all but the Mashine which i love. I have used my S4 and macbook on about 20 gigs now and hand on heart not a single problem apart from user error. Trust me though in saying stay away from windows setups. I cannot trust the windows environment. Try playing at Pasha in Ibiza and something and getting a blue screen of death and like waving to the crowd and shouting its my laptop ;-) Not acceptable so any people bitching about S4 and Dell Latitudes or whatever take it with a pinch of salt as they unfortunately are limited due to costs of getting the perfect mac setup if you know what i mean.

I do find myself being a bit of a defensive with bigwig CDJ DJ's who have not realized the significance of the progression to MP3 DJ'ing. As a lot of us have chosen this route is it not better to be educated to having the best equipment so we can represent well?

Rant over ;-)

www.zoosh.es
    Macbook pro 15" 2.6 Ghz | Traktor S4/Pro 2.03 | NI Maschine | Novation Launchpad |

Quote Originally Posted by natebehe View Post
    I dont think the cdj will ever be eradicated, but hopefully clubs will make room for the digital dj.
    I remember hearing/ thinking the same thing with vinyl and CD's over a decade ago, and now turntables mostly just hold up a jocks CD cases now. I'm sure they'll start accommodating more and more.

I agree, how we get our music/set across to the audience is irrelevant. All that matters is the music and show you put on.
    It doesn't matter if you use 2 tape decks/cd's or traktor.

I think weather you decide to go cdj's or traktor S4 is a case of personal preference, from my experience I would go with the S4. I've never looked back since I got mine.
    It's a dream to use & so easy to setup in a club.

Hope that helps

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    When I first started reading this thread just now I saw "Im planning to pick up an S4 in the future." posted from Photo and I was like "wtf I thought he had one!" then I saw the date .

QFT. I just had the same experience.
    Live Gear : MacBook Pro 13" & 15" (depends which one I grab), Kontrol S4, Midi-Fighter, Shure SRH750DJ, Dedication.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    itajen just told Chilly to read the fucking manual... lol
    *takes hat off and bows to itajen*
    Be the change you want to see in the world.

Tech Wizard

I had both cdjs and s4, and to be honest the whole "real dj" thing since like the cdj200s is whatever since you can easily beatmatch in cdjs almost like in traktor, (bpm counter,loops and now quantize in some models)and that's not cheating? plus I like to use both since some of my friends are still in denial of the digital evolution that is software djing... seriously day to day it becomes more obvious that you can do so much more things with a controller layout since you have it all at hand, heck even pioneer finally accepted it although not a perfect layout in their controllers its still pretty damn cool. I just feel clumsy now when I go back to cdjs, things are spread a bit too much for fast action and thew layout just doesn't suit what I want to do....
    s4 dude, man I love it more everyday

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/

how can anyone not love it?
    Not sure why I let this loop 3 times, I couldn't stop watching...

cdjs if you are planning to do anything more than bedroom djing.
    CDJ 2000s + DJM 2000

Check out my Mixes : Soundcloud

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast