Trackpad for effects xy-pad
    Tech Wizard

Default Trackpad for effects xy-pad (mac)

Hey guys ,I now this has been touched on a few times, but all the threads seem to have PC ways of doing this but none for mac as yet.

I'm at the stage with my controllers now that I don't really need to touch the laptop when mixing with traktor, but it got me to thinking my delicious MBP trackpad could be used as an xy controller now for effects. I've tried Midi Mouse but you seem to have to use the cursor over a window on screen whereas I'm looking for a more kaoss pad type solution where the trackpad is direct instead of relative I s'pose similar to the way 'Touchpad 2 MIDI' works.

I've stumbled across controlAid
    http://charlie-roberts.com/controlAid/details.htm
    which is for Mac and seems to do what I'm looking for, just wondering if this is of any help to anyone or if anyones had any success with it as I'm not much of a whizz with midi yet?

Cheers,
    -Tom
    Last edited by abletom; 10-07-2010 at 04:53 PM.

Tech Wizard

Right, I realise I'm replying to my own thread but I've been playing around with conrolAid and through some trial and error I'm starting to make some headway and I thought this might help some people.

(read start of thread to see what I'm trying to do)

So far I have:

1. Installed and opened controlAid from http://charlie-roberts.com/controlAid/details.htm

2. On the 'i/o' tab, in the bottom right corner box for out4 and controlAid, I have selected 'cc' to send cc values and then 0 to send all input here.

3. On the 'mouse' tab typed in mouseMode1 boxes, xAxis=127 yAxis=0 and then the opposite on mouseMode2 boxes.

4. On the 'play' tab selected mousemode 2.

5. In traktor created a new generic tsi file with midi input chuckles(cAidOutput4) and then mapped 2 effect amounts for a chained effects rack.

Now I can control effect amount for effect 1 by sliding up and effect 2 by sliding across. It's working pretty well but I think for some effects I'll need to work out how to turn them off and on as well amount, possibly sending note on/off midi from trackpad through controlAid?

I think I'll use buttons on my ohm64 to use for choosing different effects for the trackpad to control by assigning them either to effects select or direct mapping to the ones that work the best with the xy. Probably use a modifier for when I need to use the trackpad as a normal mouse occasionally as well.

Any ideas or suggestions would be cool.
    -Tom