Interesting questions answered by Wolfgang Gartner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Default Interesting questions answered by Wolfgang Gartner

Okay, maybe not interesting to everybody. I like #10

If you were starting up today, would you even bother to learn how to beat match and mix with CDJs, or just go all software? If I were just starting today I would learn to mix in Ableton or Traktor and not learn to beat match. No reason to learn old tech

http://djtimes.com/blog/2010/10/wolf...ner-goes-daft/
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

gonna agree with him, with one side-note: you will learn the skill as time goes by simply involving yourself in the process of editing tracks in traktor / ableton / et al, but if you do not, then you will be discovered by someone and called out on it. i think he could have elaborated a bit more (or did) but the responses seem so short, they probably edited additional fluff out for the ADD gen.
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I think all the responses were via twitter since they say in the beginning that it was a twitter interview with his fans. I didn't count the characters in each answer though so don't quote me on it.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

ah yeah, glazed over that intro.
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

If you were learning to play an instrument, why bother to learn such old concepts as chord progressions and the... the keys.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

No reason to learn old tech
    Theres plenty of reasons

Its fun. Its enjoyable. It gets you laid and makes you cool and popular (joke).

I think he should have said "no necessity to learn old tech"

Tech Convert

I don't know If I agree, I started with a VCI-100 w/ traktor and then later switched to a 2x technics serato setup, and my game skyrocketed by forcing myself to learn manual beathmatching (STILL trying to master it lol). The VCI-100se w/Traktor with all the buttons and effects was too distracting for me at the time I suppose.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
    I don't know If I agree, I started with a VCI-100 w/ traktor and then later switched to a 2x technics serato setup, and my game skyrocketed by forcing myself to learn manual beathmatching (STILL trying to master it lol). The VCI-100se w/Traktor with all the buttons and effects was too distracting for me at the time I suppose.
    Good for you man now you get the best of both worlds and mad respect from all djs not just the digi heads.

I equate it to driving a stick shift, before automatics there were only manuals so if you wanted to drive you had to learn to drive a manual. Now in the age of automatics nobody wants to learn to drive a stick. oh my God a clutch! :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual Unknown View Post
    Good for you man now you get the best of both worlds and mad respect from all djs not just the digi heads.

I equate it to driving a stick shift, before automatics there were only manuals so if you wanted to drive you had to learn to drive a manual. Now in the age of automatics nobody wants to learn to drive a stick. oh my God a clutch! :eek:
    Remember when the division was whether you could scratch or not...kinda depressing to say that being able to beatmatch makes you a "real" dj now....

Quote Originally Posted by kiss-o-matic View Post
    If you were learning to play an instrument, why bother to learn such old concepts as chord progressions and the... the keys.
    I see what you mean but I don't think the analogy fits. Those 'old' concepts lay the foundation not for technically perfoming the music, but rather for the composition and whatnot of the music...I think a "little" better analogy would be you are learning to play the guitar, why learn to tune your instrument by ear when we have electric tuners. well one reason is that it trains you while you learn to do it...you start to be able to hear what key what is in, you can begin to tell what you are bending the note to rather than just pushing the string 'up' the fretboard. Kinda like learning to beatmatch teaches you things like how to phrase appropriately and how to mix in key without using something that analyzes the track...just some thoughts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast