Starting out - gear advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Starting out - gear advice

Hi all,

I realize that this post will most likely seem #321312412 as far as what-gear-should-I-get posts go so I want to apologize in advance to the ones that I might upset. In fact, I'd even like to apologize for the fact that this actually is my first post without introducing myself on the forum but my intentions are to combine this introduction with the question in this topic.
    Before I do so I'd like to say I did search this forum and other fora but I've come to realize that every "what-gear-should-I-get-as-a-starter" post has certain variables (don't know the right word for it in English), mainly being budget, needs and interests. The most important thing to consider in these discusstions however is the new gear that keeps coming out which makes previous-week's starter-gear advice seem obsolete. To make it a bit more clear or obvious here is what I think is important for me that can or could result in an advice. Basically I am looking for confirmation or maybe even the exact opposite:

Budget
    Give or take 1K (Euro's, i'm Dutch)
    I am not sure about this but this could be a bit more than average for a starter I guess but I am the kind of guy who prefers spending a bit more so I can benefit more from it on the long term rather than spending less money on, well, "My First Sony" like stuff that needs to be replaced within 6 months. Be it function-wise or durability wise. I don't mind spending less though, mind you

Interest
    Not really important for this matter but since I promised some sort of introduction... :P
    The main reason why I am the typical and literal bedroom DJ is my taste in music. I like hardcore music, the gabber kind, mainly darkcore and terror. Anything with a BPM over 200 got my interest really, as long as it's distorted, dark and raw. However, despite me being Dutch I am quite alone in this I think since most popular styles today in my area anyway are hardstyle/trance/techno stuff. Since I am not into that I don't think I'll be doing any gigs sometime soon. Which is why I think I am the perfect example of a bedroom DJ. Oh yeh, that and the fact I am actually the definition of an apprentice when it comes to DJ-ing.

Needs
    This is the tricky bit. By no means I feel like having to start on vinyl. I only just realised whilst typing this I actually already own a set of (belt-driven) turntables from some crappy brand I can't recall, bought from a highschool friend who upgraded his set to SL1200's. I mean it has pitch control but that's about it. Besides, vinyl costs more money in the end, requires me to go down a store every now and then when there's beatport and it eventually even requires me, knowing myself, needing a pair of SL 1200's aswell so I do not wish to go vinyl. Unless... there are good reasons reconsidering this...!

But, personally having ruled out vinyl there's still lots and lots of options. My aim is to beatmatch a bit, despite the sync buttons, play with the effects a bit while mixing tracks and just basically exploring my and Traktor's potential. The VCI-100 seems a good start but im lacking everything... including Traktor itsself :P.
    So the S4 gets introduced. Perfect! At least, that's what I am thinking: No need for a sound card, mixer, controllers nor any need for software because it's all built-in or comes shipped with the S4. Am I right about this though? Seems like a goofy question from the expert's point of view I reckon but I'm just trying to make sure im not missing something. The only real thing (I think) I will be needing is some (reference) speakers but I hope I got that covered as I am fixed on a pair of KRK RP6 G2's. Is this overkill for a bedroom DJ though? Like I said, I don't mind spending money as long as it's money well spent.
    As far as headphones go I think I am settled since I already own the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II's. The sound quality is ace as far as I am concerned and it's a closed design so I think I got that covered... Right?

I might still be missing out something else, something which I don't know about. For instance, I will not get any experience using CDJ's. Or actual mixers. Isn't this basic stuff I should get into as a DJ, even if it's just bedroom-DJ-ing? This would mean a whole different setup. Say an Audio 4, a DDM 4000, 2 CDJ's (400's then I guess, budget isn't endless). It just doesn't feel right when there's the S4...

So basically: As a starting out bedroom DJ with an average budget for a starter but lacking virtually everything as far as hard- and software go, except for a laptop, who likes Hardcore music alot, what do you recommend? Or let me reverse the question, what would you not recommend?

Again, apologies for creating another one of these posts but I haven't yet came across a topic about starter-gear with my 'variables'.

Cheers!

Nick
    Last edited by Terreur; 10-09-2010 at 05:24 PM. Reason: fixed a BBcode...

The S4, KRK, and HD25's with an audio 2 or 4 dj would be a great startup set. Actually that is a great setup for anyone from the beginner to the seasoned vet.

EDIT: minus the Audio 2or 4 DJ. Derrrrrr
    Last edited by Redlight; 10-09-2010 at 06:27 PM. Reason: DERRRRR
    Technics 1210 MKII (x2) ~ Pioneer DDJ-RX ~ Allen & Heath Xone 2:02 ~ Traktor Pro 2 ~ Rekordbox DJ ~ Novation Dicer

Tech Wizard

Great. But why the need for the Audio 2 or 4? Doesn't the S4 have a built-in soundcard?
    Cheers for responding!

Edit: Well obviously it has a built-in sound card, but what I meant to ask is if or why that card isn't qualified or good enough for what im planning to do with it.
    Last edited by Terreur; 10-09-2010 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Terreur View Post
    Great. But why the need for the Audio 2 or 4? Doesn't the S4 have a built-in soundcard?
    Cheers for responding!

Edit: Well obviously it has a built-in sound card, but what I meant to ask is if or why that card isn't qualified or good enough for what im planning to do with it.
    lol. stoner move. You are exactly right. No need for the Audio DJ.

I'm sure the built in sound card is absolutely perfect. NI makes great soundcards. Seeing as how I just suggested that, You may not want to take my advice. Due to the fact that apparently I'm an idiot. I guess I'm in the habit of telling people about the sound card because I usually suggest the VCIse.

Just to clarify : S4, KRK, HD25's = great setup
    Last edited by Redlight; 10-09-2010 at 06:27 PM.
    Technics 1210 MKII (x2) ~ Pioneer DDJ-RX ~ Allen & Heath Xone 2:02 ~ Traktor Pro 2 ~ Rekordbox DJ ~ Novation Dicer

The S4 soundcard will be absolutely fine for your needs, it's 24-bit quality and has an output of 13Db which is ample for any DJ! It really is all you need, CDJs are still standard in clubs but are very close to becoming outdated as all major DJs come over to software based systems. Learning to use one can be done in a shop if it must and needn't be your number 1 priority.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Wizard

Hah, ok well that makes sense

So, any reason I should consider not getting this specific setup or getting something else based on my intentions or goals?

Also slightly off-topic, I know NI is promoting how well an X1 will do besides the S4 but isn't it a tad abundant? I've had the pleasure messing around with one, that's what got me Traktor-hooked in the first place but my conclusion was I needed some sort of mixer because, well, songs will eventually end and need some form of mixing I tried searching fora and figured the DDM 4000 despite Behringer's reputation was good bang for one's buck but of course, this was all before the S4. I wouldn't get an X1 immediately as I should focus primarily on the S4 first but I am not even sure if it's needed, at all?

Tech Wizard

@ fullenglishpint
    Cheers, I figured that aswell, just needed the confirmation I guess. That and the explanation what makes them so expensive as they are compared to something like the S4. It's almost like when something sounds too good to be true then it probably is.

im gonna throw out some love for the apc 40, knowing full well at this point you should just get the S4

you can use it with traktor in a manner similar to the mapped items on the S4, and youre ready for the ableton onslaught that will become your life.
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

Tech Wizard

Actually I am fully aware of the existence of the APC 40 but the thing is... it looks too damn complicated for me. I mean, it's just buttons. Same with the midi fighter, it makes me feel too much of an operator and needing to remember everything. This may very well be because I am new but still...

haha if you think the apc looks complicated when glossing it over, you should check the innards of ableton. it's all a learning curve, just get over it and dive right in :P
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast