I've cut my Firebox Power supply

Default I've cut my Firebox Power supply

A friend damaged the cable that goes to the sound interface and thus I had to open the PSU and fix it.
    This is beautifull power supply, neat, simple and elegan enterior. Low-voltage part is separated from the hi-voltage part by the only thing that actually separates them, the transformer.
    Aaand, it is a real bitch to open if you don't have the right tools. I had to drill 12mm holes in the bottom to cut out plastic that holds the screws.

For some time I dreamt about compact PSU to be neatly tucked inside my backpack and, also, a PSU that is getting along well with other power cables/PSUs on the extension cord.

The bottom part (to go in to the wall socket) is cut off, you can see PSU laying flat on the desk.
    Wall-power is comming into the IEC C8 (sadly enough C14 could not fit) and thus the power cord is disconnectable and replaceable.
    Transformer has been rotated 180 degrees and new (ass)hole has been made for the power output (to Firebox).
    Many photons have died to bring you this information.

Quote Originally Posted by ToS View Post
    A friend damaged the cable that goes to the sound interface and thus I had to open the PSU and fix it.
    This is beautifull power supply, neat, simple and elegan enterior. Low-voltage part is separated from the hi-voltage part by the only thing that actually separates them, the transformer.
    Aaand, it is a real bitch to open if you don't have the right tools. I had to drill 12mm holes in the bottom to cut out plastic that holds the screws.

For some time I dreamt about compact PSU to be neatly tucked inside my backpack and, also, a PSU that is getting along well with other power cables/PSUs on the extension cord.

The bottom part (to go in to the wall socket) is cut off, you can see PSU laying flat on the desk.
    Wall-power is comming into the IEC C8 (sadly enough C14 could not fit) and thus the power cord is disconnectable and replaceable.
    Transformer has been rotated 180 degrees and new (ass)hole has been made for the power output (to Firebox).
    this is an awesome mod considering the firebox power supply is possibly the biggest pain in the ass wall wart of all time. luckily mine will run off bus power with no problems. nice work

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Excellent work.
    I was gutted when my Firebox adapter finally died.
    Ive used 2 or 3 cheaper replacements in the time the original lasted.

It was a huge hunk of stuff though.

I got the Presonus FireStudioM now and the power supply is tiny in comparison..

Well, IMHO, switching PSU is not comparable to full-blown transformer.
    I guess they've done some good noise filtering in FireStudioMobile sinc it is oriented recording-wise.
    I couldn't live with only four analog outputs. (I like to route all 10 outs from Firebox into the mixer)
    Last edited by ToS; 10-10-2010 at 08:56 PM. Reason: now with 50% more outputs

Just found one C13 connector that I can fit, needs a bit more modding but then it will be compatible with EVERYTHING!

I'll have to wait until the callus from scalpel-work heals. Tiz been a hard modding day.

i've never used my firebox with its powesupply and never had issues.. what's the point of using one?
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

HP Laptop with 4pin output

C13 connector update.
    I'm much, much happier with this.

Better-quality pics.

Hi, I moded it again. Had enough of pulling the euro-plug each time Im done mixing so I've thrown in a power switch:

2012-06-10 22.01.39.jpg2012-06-10 22.01.55.jpg