1st Midi Controller advice - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I've contemplated a lot of different options. Lost my job for 6 months in the beginning of the year, and so I still haven't really been able to purchase anything myself yet.

I'd suggest taking a hard look at where you want to go with it, and your overall budget.

I have a few friends with completely different systems. One friend uses Serato SSL with 2 Technics MK5's. Another uses Torq with two Numark Tables. And another buddy uses Traktor with the Maschine and a TTM 56S mixer. Another friend is waiting until around christmas time to buy a VCI-100SE (his brother is the one with Torq).

My buddy with Torq is planning on buying the Stanton SCS3 System. He's in love with it, but then again, he thinks outside the box.

After seeing all of these options, I really do have to say I find Traktor and Serato the best of the products, and it really comes down to what controller you would feel best suits your needs.

I know it's a bit higher price, but the Native Instruments S4 is also worth looking into if you plan on getting Traktor/VCI-100SE/Audio Interface. It will come close enough in price that it's worth checking out once all is said and done.

My personal plan right now is still up in the air. If I can find a nice pair of TT's, I'll probably jump on them and get Serato SSL. Otherwise, I'm probably looking at getting the S4 myself.

I don't particularly want to be limited with only 2 channels on a controller. That's my biggest worry. While you can use crazy modifiers, it seems like a lot of work where you can just have it laid out in front of you.

Any way you go, it's worth going down to Guitar Center and playing around for awhile.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the info mate, very useful

In terms of the S4, living in England its about £750, which is like $1200, whereas a VCI-100 (non-SE) + an Audio8 would cost me about £450, if not less, so price wise an S4 is way out of my league for the moment I'm afraid.

I wish I had a guitar center equivalent in England, but no music shops over here are prepared to let you demo any of their equipment They're all too cheap to give up one unit to let people try stuff out =/ Would be great for this, but also theres nowhere I can go to demo guitars or drums either anymore

Quote Originally Posted by scribble View Post
    In terms of the S4, living in England its about £750, which is like $1200, whereas a VCI-100 (non-SE) + an Audio8 would cost me about £450, if not less, so price wise an S4 is way out of my league for the moment I'm afraid.
    Dont forget you need to add the cost of traktor software as well

Another option would be the VCi100 Mk II which has a sound card built in and comes with an upgrade offer for traktor pro
    SC | MC

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post
    Dont forget you need to add the cost of traktor software as well

Another option would be the VCi100 Mk II which has a sound card built in and comes with an upgrade offer for traktor pro
    When is the MKII coming out?

Tech Wizard

The only thing I was thinking about the MKII is that I don't like the plastic =/
    And also, I can't tell any big difference feature-wise between the MKI SE and the MKII. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by scribble View Post
    The only thing I was thinking about the MKII is that I don't like the plastic =/
    And also, I can't tell any big difference feature-wise between the MKI SE and the MKII. Am I wrong?
    um built in sound card, adjustable tension.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw View Post
    um built in sound card, adjustable tension.
    I was speaking to a guy in Sapphires (Brilliant DJ shop in north london) the other day and he said the MKII only has a 16 bit soundcard. Even the Omni Control has a 24 bit, you'll probably be better off with a separate sound card.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    I was speaking to a guy in Sapphires (Brilliant DJ shop in north london) the other day and he said the MKII only has a 16 bit soundcard. Even the Omni Control has a 24 bit, you'll probably be better off with a separate sound card.
    never said it was a good one. Any idea on a price?

Well taking price a bit more into consideration, there's a couple options I'd look at for you.

First, the best "budget" setup that I've seen, is the Hercules RMX. Has a built in soundcard, and is made of metal. It's cheaper than almost all the competition.

As far as a VCI-100 vs VCI-100SE... I guess if you can get the firmware upgrade kit it wouldn't be such a bad thing to do. I've read that the older firmware on the base model definitely has some issues however, so getting the firmware upgrade would be a must.

Then you get to the point where you can probably find a decent pair of turntables (Stanton ST-150's, ST-100's, Vestax PDX-2000, PDX-300, or Technics) for a decent price, and then get a mixer and a DVS software solution between them. Some deals on TT's are out of this world, but you really need to do your research on what would be applicable as a "decent" TT.

There's been some deals here and on other DJ'ing forums (djforums.com) that have used equipment across the world for decent prices. Craigslist is also a big friend.

A lot of people seem to be trying to sell their current equipment/setups for the S4, so in a sense now is a good time to be purchasing.

If you don't have the money to buy what you want, wait. Patience is a virtue. You don't want to get something that a couple months down the line you say, damn it I wish I had bought that thing I originally wanted.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Wizard

Yeah, I knew about the soundcard, but I heard it wasn't that good so I'd have to get another one anyway most likely. And the adjustable tension isn't a huge deal to me, I find things I can adjust too much just tend to get over-fiddled with and that doesn't usually end up working out well, so I'd be happy with the MKISE over the MKII to be honest

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast