iTunes playlists in Traktor Pro

Default iTunes playlists in Traktor Pro

I don't use iTunes very much but I do import all my music into the library to use the smart playlist feature for genres.

However, I've noticed that the metadata doesn't update in the iTunes playlists when I use mixed in key, so if I want to see key info in the Traktor browser I have to create new playlists and update them manually by genre every time I add new tunes.

Is there a way around this?
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

choose to write the key info into a different id3 tag location, as i dont think they are parallel.

i prefer writing key info into the comments section, so all of my mp3s have "12b - other comments here." imo very handy so you can sort by key and youre already looking at the additional comments.
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

Quote Originally Posted by completej View Post
    choose to write the key info into a different id3 tag location, as i dont think they are parallel.

i prefer writing key info into the comments section, so all of my mp3s have "12b - other comments here." imo very handy so you can sort by key and youre already looking at the additional comments.
    I write key to comments as well, but they only update when Traktor imports them for some reason and the imported version is the only one with the new data. The one in the iTunes playlist stays the same.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5

i guess i dont follow, so me talking this out might help me understand.

i get a song.
    i run it through MiK, writing to the front of the comments.
    i drop into "add music automatically to itunes" folder (os x)
    i look into itunes, see the new music. i add additional comments, rating, and sort into a playlist.
    i open traktor, it imports and analyzes.
    i go to the itunes category in traktor, go to playlist, see the song, add to a deck, add cue points, and lock it.
    fin.

it sounds like youre keying a song that is already in itunes, and you feel itunes is not identifying / realizing a change when you find it wherever it is in itunes?

if that's the case, you have to physically tell itunes to "update" new info, as it's already written to your display what the song was before you modified it.

if you're on OS X, i'd recommend a script such as this to take care of that problem en masse:

http://marv.kordix.com/archives/000860.html

i don't recall which one i downloaded (it's been a while) but a google search can fix that. if you're on windows, as that itunes doesnt support any level of scripting, you'll have to manually select and "refresh selected" on each track. not sure if you can do it bulk, but i remember having that problem before i switched to OS X.
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

if you're on OS X, i'd recommend a script such as this to take care of that problem en masse:

Thanks a lot, problem sorted!

Tech Wizard

This is exactly what i was looking for, thank you.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I write key to comments and to the key field. That way I have it in the key field in Traktor and in comments in iTunes.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I write key to comments and to the key field. That way I have it in the key field in Traktor and in comments in iTunes.
    me too. Shame iTunes doesn't support key tags, how hard can it be?

Hey, thanks! That'll come in handy when I want iTunes to realize that I've analyzed the BPM for my tracks in an external program.