Big changes to emusic
    DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Default Big changes to emusic

they're getting a whole bunch of new music which I like, but a new pricing structure that I don't think I like.

I can't link to it since it's in my account page, but if your a member it should be there for you to.

Coming soon! eMusic’s largest catalog addition ever along with a new way to price music

eMusic’s mission has always been to provide our members with a deep and broad selection of music at the best possible value. So we’re thrilled to announce that this November we will be adding more than 250,000 tracks to eMusic!

The additions include classic hip-hop albums on the Def Jam label; groundbreaking, forward-thinking rock music on Geffen and Interscope; giants of jazz on the Verve and ECM labels; a wealth of classical music from the standard bearers Deutsche Grammophon and Decca Records; hard-hitting alt-country on Lost Highway; timeless R&B from the Motown label, and much, much more! It will be the single largest catalog addition to eMusic by far, and it comes thanks to a recent agreement with Universal Music Group.

In order to continue to grow our catalog and to insure a sustainable business in the long term, we need more flexible pricing. So we are changing from today’s credit-per-track system to currency pricing. Your membership will continue just as it is today and your monthly payments will not change. But starting in November, you’ll see tracks and albums priced in dollars and cents instead of credits.

New pricing in a nutshell
    Under the new currency pricing system, eMusic members will enjoy savings of 20%-50% compared to iTunes a la carte prices. The majority of albums on eMusic will be priced from $5.19 - $8.99. Single track pricing for members will vary as follows:
    $0.49 for most tracks currently in our catalog
    $0.69 - $0.79 for more popular content
    $0.89 for tracks that generally sell for $1.29 at iTunes
    We won’t know where specific titles (or exactly how many) will fall in the categories above until November. But we think you’ll find that eMusic still offers the best deal out there on a consistent basis. For more on pricing, read The new pricing in detail.

Your monthly loyalty bonus
    To thank you for being an eMusic member, a special loyalty bonus will be added to your account each month. The bonus level depends on the plan you are in. For more details regarding your new membership plan see the Your Plan info on the right.

eMusic today, eMusic tomorrow
    We want to assure you that the heart of eMusic is not changing. As we grow our catalog, we’ll continue to profile records we find interesting or important, regardless of whether they've sold 4 or 4 million copies.

By growing our catalog our aim is to also grow our member base, which in turn will help fund improvements to the service. See A look at the future of eMusic for details on some of the good things to come.

Read on to get more details about the new catalog, the new pricing and how this affects your account. We want to hear your thoughts about the changes, please take a few minutes to share your feedback on a MEMBER SURVEY.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Interesting, my account doesn't say anything like that. Poking around for it. It seems they just did this about a year ago? I was able to continue my pricing structure from before though, which is $12/month for 30 downloads a month. That's slightly better than the advertised basic plan, which is only 24 per month for the same cost. I'm guessing maybe I'm not seeing this because I'm still covered on the earlier plan, but I wonder if I will get the same lists by price rather than credits in the future? If that;s the case I wonder if it will reflect my 30/month plan or if I will drop to 24/month...

It's kind of annoying how this deal with new labels not currently represented on emusic is going to change the terms for buying music that is not part of this deal (and is already available on emusic). Lame if that's what's happening but I'm not sure what we can do about it other than get annoyed; I don't have time to call and complain at customer service over losing 6 songs a month.

It does make me think I should get some boosters and buy up all the stuff in my saved list before the price goes up though :-O

If your paying $12 a month now, you'll have $12 a month to spend. If it's new stuff that's been released in the last year it'll be .79 If it's older it'll be less, but we'll still lose on downloads I think. I pay $20 a month and get 50 downloads and I'm guestimating I'll get between 35 and 40 downloads for that.

I got the notice in an email that then linked to a separate page in my account. I wonder if they're rolling the announcement out gradually to keep the flood of complaints more manageable.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Well I just got the email now too. Yes that is bad news -- it really defeats the purpose of having a subscription at all. I'll likely end up canceling mine and just buying a la carte when I want something from there, and find myself getting more of my mp3s from juno and amazon.

This whole announcement begs the question by the way about the "deal" albums where you can get a whole CD for like 12 credits. I imagine those will no longer be available like that....

Kinda off topic but, what bitrate do the .mp3s come on from this service...thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigheadmikelove View Post
    Kinda off topic but, what bitrate do the .mp3s come on from this service...thanks
    (I quit the place a year or more ago, so things may have changed but)

They use variable bit rate (VBR), and try to equalise all the tracks they hold to being roughly the same size ... this means audio quality can be all over the shop. Something encoided at VBR 0 will be almost indistinguishable from a 320kbps CBR but a lot smaller, whereas something at VBR > 0 will be smaller but worse.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

I woke up at 4:00 am with the horrible though that this was a phishing scam and that after 20 years of internet surfing I had finally been duped. Woke up and checked the emusic site and to my horror it wasn't.

Yes they use VBR. Yes that may not be as good as a 320 file, but I challenge anybody to tell me what songs in any of my last five mixes or shows are from emusic.
    Chris Jennings FHP