gear me ?

Thread: gear me ?

Tech Wizard

Default gear me ?

o/

So...as I mentioned in the video thread, I'm just starting down this particular road. I have some gear questions, but mostly in relation to 'other' things in the chain outside of the tables/CDJ's/mixer.

First, I should say that I am planning on being almost entirely home based. I have very little desire to be a 'real' club DJ, but plan on doing mix/remix work for myself and whomever(ha). While I may end up side job'ing some weddings for friends, or the occasional party, I don't see a lot of that happening.

Questions for y'all :

My current gear consists of random guitars and basses, a yamaha xs6, presonus firebox mobile, 27" imac with logic 9 and reason 4 and a 17" MBP (and a lol roland mc505 from ~10 years ago).

My current plan is to buy an S4 when they come out, or shortly thereafter. I figure I can get started down this road fairly well with the feature set of the S4, and not hamstring myself going in.

BUT, I also wanted to look at other controllers. I have a fairly standard X keyboard stand, that I'm going to put a dual shelf stand on. (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/2ndTierDlx/), and add 'some stuff' to it.

1 shelf will hold the S4 above my current XS6.

The other would be one of the following, mostly for want of pads and trigger points.

Maschine: potentially large overkill for what I want
    Midifighter: ideal, maybe? I want different LED colors per button
    apc40 : just saw this in the other thread. Looks nice, but also requires live, which I don't currently own. I strongly suspect I would enjoy AL much more than I currently enjoy logic 9.

Thoughts ? Anyone care to :whiteknight: any of my options listed above, or give me further things to look at ?

--tau

Get the APC40 but that's overkill compared to the Maschine; alas their intentions are different. Due to the sounds of you doing studio work I strongly endorse the APC.

If you're doing studio remix work I recommend Maschine
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Guru

@Lethal: why is that? i know nothing about this stuff.. how does Maschine have an advantage over the apc? arent's more buttons and knobs better?
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

No, the APC has more buttons, it also has faders and endless led encoders, but the Maschine as a groovebox/sampler for making tunes with is awesome. It's also a good MIDI controller.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud