S4 testers - Curious about the mixer feel
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default S4 testers - Curious about the mixer feel

Hey all,

So to those of you who have already had a chance to test the S4, I have a really simple question.

How does the feel of the mixer section compare to the feel of the industry standard Pioneer DJM 800.

I know the S4 is supposed to have similar faders?

-PL>Y

Tech Mentor

Nobody can speak to this regard?

And I guess I will add another question in here. Are the faders potentially customizable?

-PL>Y

Tech Guru

there is a nice post by Dubba Dutch on the faders and crossfader from his use of it at BPM.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Mentor

Searching now. Cheers Haze

Tech Guru

FROM THE BPM DAY 1 THREAD

"h god! Westenddj obviously should of done you a deal there, the buggers! Nice bit of Traktor grooming tho Karlos. Couldn't of been me mate, he's very very informed of all things Traktor. 250 quid was the heavily repeated quote of the day.

Yeah I totally agree, jog positions are spot on. Personally I'm actually dead chuft they went for fat rounded fader caps, for years I always liked the little lego block like cap on my old vestax 05, (it was all I new back then) but my first outing on a Rane 56 completely converted me and now I actually struggle to get the same level of cutting on anything but fat rounded caps. Obviously thats just personal preference, but when considering the Pro X fade, Inno fade and Rane faders are fitted with the same rounded chuncky caps, it warms me heart that NI speared a thought for what the majority of scratch jocks seem to prefer.

We know how much of sweet texture/feel NI's rotary's and buttons have from the X1 and Maschine so I was really interested to see how there faders turned out
    The light feel and then perfect weight in use of x fade easily puts that fader in to the top 5 x fade's I've ever used. Ecler eternal, Pro X, Inno fade, P&G, Pioneer's inferred 707/909, personal taste would only chose where the S4 fader would place, you would have to be very very very picky to actually want a different fader in the S4.

Again I find it shocking that Vestax took nearly 15 years to improve on there first VCA x fader but NI nail it first time.

I guess there will be a number of VCI owners who prefer stiff line faders, but I'm very happy they went for free flowing instead. The stiffness of VCI line faders make it impossible for any fast accurate up fader tricks.

The pitch fader on the S4, beautiful.

I saw Shifty do his stuff for the dj mag tech awards on sunday, he done a piss funny wicked mix of Team America's tittle theme " fuck yeah" on top of a bit of dubstep, very cool and very effective. I also watched the best small midi controller Shifty did to, X1 no brainer!"
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Mentor

Thank you so much guys!

Well..........this is just brilliant, isn't it?

The faders are as good as anything you've ever tested? It doesn't get much better than that. I just really hope the upfaders are as good as the x-fader, as I perfer to mash on those and just never touch the x-fade. I'm actually going to be switching from a Rane 57TTM, so I will need amazing faders to go to!

And about the jog wheel being as good as a CDJ? That's amazing too! That's the one reason why I use CDJ's as my choice of turntable. THE FEEL!

S4, come to papa!

-PL>Y

I used the S4 at the DJ Expo @ the jersey shore. Its a solid bulit controller similar to the kontrol x1 and maschine. knobs has a nice soft feel to them. the pitch fader is smooth with a touch of resistance. the faders are nice. i wouldnt compare it to a djm-800 being that the faders are almost like battle style faders and the knobs are hard as hell.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    i wouldnt compare it to a djm-800 being that the faders are almost like battle style faders and the knobs are hard as hell.
    Jes, just to confirm, which mixer were you talking about here? Which one is the battle style mixer?

-PL>Y

the djm-800 faders are loose like battle style mixers, I had a Vestax 07 and the volume faders almost felt the same as the djm-800.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast