Putting visuals to your set
    Tech Guru

Default Putting visuals to your set

Can anyone suggest the best way to put visuals to your set if you're using Traktor? It'd be nice to have something that can be projected in the club that isn't just something on a loop but at the same time not have specific videos/footage that go with the same tune every time.

It'd be nice to have visuals that possibly can be manipulated live; So for example you got standard visuals to display (maybe on a loop) but if you hit a certain button it will snaps to what I can only describe as hot cues on the visuals themselves. That way when a tune drops you can hit a cue button on the visuals so it switches in time with the music, or if you juggle using buttons on a controller, you can hit 2 buttons at once, 1 to manipulate the music, 1 for the visuals so it all kinda syncs if you catch my drift. Or map both music & visuals to 1 button.

I'm wondering if there's anything that can run alongside traktor that can deal with this. Or if anyone can suggest the most straight forward way of doing it, nothing overly fancy, that would be awesome.

Cheers

Default Resolume ave works great for this.

You can send midi clock from traktor and have resolume ave run off of the midi, you can do everything you described above using this software.
    Native Instruments S4, Akai APC-40, Novation Launchpad, MicroKorg, Numark Total Control, M-Audio Profire-610, M-Audio bxa 8" Monitors
    www.midifightclub.com

Tech Mentor

There's a program I occasionally use called VSX Ultra. It's free and produces sound reactive visualizer backgrounds. (think windows media player) There's also a paid product called Shadow Dancers that's kind of interesting, suitability for DJing is debatable, but I've used it before. It's basically a colorful background with the shadow of a girl dancing...

This is a bit complicated, but may be what you'd be looking for. This is one way that has got me really interested in the Livid Block/Ohm64, and also translates to DJing with VJing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WInab6pdvM
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tvelzy View Post
    You can send midi clock from traktor and have resolume ave run off of the midi, you can do everything you described above using this software.
    Nice one. This looks interesting. Only thing is tho the system requirements. It says; Mac: Intel processor. Quartz Extreme graphics card (Resolume Avenue is not compatible with integrated Intel graphics processors). 1GB RAM.
    I just got a standard graphics card that comes with a macbook black 2.4ghz which I'm pretty sure aint a Quartz Extreme graphics card. This mean I gotta go out & upgrade my shit right?

Also the screen resolution sates; Use it on a 1280x800 laptop screen or on a 30 Inch 2560x1600 resolution screen. I'm looking to project it on massive projection screens in the club I DJ at. They are like 10-15 foot squared. This shouldn't be an issue should it as it's a projection, not a monitor?

Thanks for any help

I run this on both an older xp machine and a newer dell latatitude d830 and it runs fine in both situations. I think the later is an NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M. Projection is fine, thats what I do, i've used it to throw against an entire wall before as well as normal size projection and rear projection screens. What I like about Resolume is the ability to midi map its functions to another controller. So I have an APC-40 hooked up and sending midi to trigger clips and control effects.
    Native Instruments S4, Akai APC-40, Novation Launchpad, MicroKorg, Numark Total Control, M-Audio Profire-610, M-Audio bxa 8" Monitors
    www.midifightclub.com