*BUILD LOG* 'CDJ 2000'-style DIY Traktor controller - Page 11
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

I've soldered using those 'holes' dozens of times without issue. I am assuming that you are referring to these holes:

Quote Originally Posted by DjSweekUh View Post
    I would avoid doing this as it can damage the pots. its easier to bend the posts into a circle and solder that
    can you explain that a little better? into a circle? do you mean the solder lugs or the holes above them?

Tech Mentor

I think he is referring to the following type of solder post:

In which you would do the following:

Tech Wizard

Wouldnt that make it more difficult?
    Desktop | QuadCore| 4gb | 1TB Samsung
    TSP | DDM4000 | Stanton T80s | Radius 2000s

Still watching this with great interest and dont worry you will get used to soldering very fast just make sure its not blobby and messy.
    I play everything Indie/ Rock/ HipHop/ Cheese/ Electro/ Dubstep and anything that sounds good

Tsp 1.7/ Tsp 2/ Sony vaio Win 7 4gb Ram / Macbook Pro 13 inch (Main machine) /vci 100 se/ mixdeck/ audio 8/ technics rph headphones/ Custom xBox Controller/ Akai Lpd8

Just picked up this topic... keep going fella, its nice to see something different
    MBP 2012, Traktor Scratch Pro, Kontrol X4, 1x Midi Fighters, TR-8

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by marTTyn View Post
    Wouldnt that make it more difficult?
    Curling the post? Yeah it likely would...

Once you get the hand of soldering, it's not that much of a pain to solder the solid post style (as opposed to having a hole in the post). The best tip I can give is to strip about a half inch of wire and wrap it into a loop, slip it over the post and solder while holding the wire in place (one handed).

The 'trick' to how I solder with one hand is to use flux. Flux is solder's friend. It doesn't matter how clean the parts look to you, they're filthy as far as solder is concerned. Flux is used to clean the surfaces that are going to be soldered together. Which is why most electronics solder has a tiny bit of it inside the solder. However if you gather a blob of solder on the tip of your iron you end up burning all the flux away, so there is nothing to help clean the surfaces.

I bought a small bottle (125ml) and transfered about half of it into a squeeze bottle with a needle tip (I've only used about half of the squeeze bottle in about a year). Get your wire in place and put a few drops of flux over the post and wire (that you've curled into a ring and slipped over the post). Then just gather a small blob of solder on your iron's tip and apply to the wire and post. The flux will boil off and clean the post and wire. The neatest part is that the solder will wick into the gaps all by its self

There is plenty of videos online about it, but if there is interest I can put one together highlighting the components we would use the most.

Looking mint Milo, real nice work

Where'd you get the caps for the pots though? I've been looking all over for some decent caps, but no luck.

Can't wait for the next update
    Fixing stuff that isn't broken.

still really excited about this project,

was wondering, are you planning to have the Arduino outputting midi directly via USB, via a midi shield or are you going to use software on the computer to convert the serial output to midi?
    woof

I'm going to install a midi connector directly to the arduino (so pretty much like using the midi shield).

Got an exciting new addition to this controller that I'm developing at the moment... something pretty unique; more news soon!

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast