*BUILD LOG* 'CDJ 2000'-style DIY Traktor controller - Page 12
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

ok cool, yea till i can work out how to reprogram the Atmega on the actual arduino (somethings thats probably not going to happen anytime soon!) im currently using a software repatch but thinking of heading the hardwired midi route

and excited to hear more!!
    woof

Quote Originally Posted by safefire View Post
    Looking mint Milo, real nice work

Where'd you get the caps for the pots though? I've been looking all over for some decent caps, but no luck.

Can't wait for the next update
    caps are from here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...T#ht_812wt_906

delivered from China but took less than a week to arrive

they fit really perfectly on to these pots:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Linear-Potenti...item2561c52f44

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by etch View Post
    ok cool, yea till i can work out how to reprogram the Atmega on the actual arduino (somethings thats probably not going to happen anytime soon!) im currently using a software repatch but thinking of heading the hardwired midi route

and excited to hear more!!
    Just to clarify this statement... Only the arduino UNO's are capable of (reasonably simple) usb->midi.. as instead of an FTDI serial to usb chip, they are using a dedicated atmega8 for the same function. Since the atmega8 is just a smaller version of the atmega328 used for the arudino, you can re-program it for your own purposes. (using LUFA).. Doing so will eliminate your ability to reprogram the main atmega chip, so you would have to remove it and program it off-board...

In my opinion, the best (and most versatile) method would be to embed a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Converter-Music-Keyboard-Window/dp/B0017H4EBG"]Amazon.com: USB MIDI Cable Converter PC to Music Keyboard Window Win Vista XP, Mac OS: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31l6n6mRLyL.@@AMEPARAM@@31l6n6mRLyL[/ame] usb-serial adapter directly into the project. Just open it up, hack off the cables and wire it right in... BAM! instant usb-midi.... This leaves you the ability to reprogram the arduino with minimal effort.

that's exactly what I'm doing - don't really see the problem with making the Arduino a midi device... it actually makes things easier if you're using various other midi devices in the case, as I am (Highly Liquid CPU, Arduino, etc)

Here's the latest draft:

http://gyazo.com/61ff72f9924ea628f5e88405b004a1bc.png

Front Panel Designer tells me it's going to cost 100 euros including VAT to get it cut (2.5mm raw aluminium - gonna get an adhesive printed sticker to go on top to give it a nice finish). I might hunt around for a better price lol...

Tech Mentor

The biggest difference between using an off-board midi-usb to reprogramming the onboard programmer would be the lack of programming ability after words...

The arduino UNO's have a dedicated atmega chip that handles serial to usb conversion and the programming of the main chip. If you reprogram it to function as a usb->midi converter, you lose all of it's programming abilities. So if you wanted (or needed) to change the code for your midi project, you would have no choice but to remove the main chip and program it externally...

If you use the external adapter, you kind of get the best of both worlds... usb-midi, AND the ability to reprogram the main chip.

exactly!

also, you can daisychain multiple midi devices together inside the case and they will appear as one usb device to your pc/mac... much neater and less programming

Quote Originally Posted by DjNecro View Post
    Just to clarify this statement... Only the arduino UNO's are capable of (reasonably simple) usb->midi.. as instead of an FTDI serial to usb chip, they are using a dedicated atmega8 for the same function. Since the atmega8 is just a smaller version of the atmega328 used for the arudino, you can re-program it for your own purposes. (using LUFA).. Doing so will eliminate your ability to reprogram the main atmega chip, so you would have to remove it and program it off-board...
    This is also an interesting alternative, i was going for hardwiring a midi port to the arduino because i already play out with a Audio8 so have the availability of MIDI and it minimises the number of USB ports required for my setup,

but im pretty sure that by connecting a hardware bridge on the underside of the chip you can use the onboard ICSP header to directly access the ATmega8, and by desoldering this bridge you can then use the ICSP to access the ATmega328

the main reason for doing so is purely a point of personal interest,

Quote Originally Posted by MiL0 View Post
    also, you can daisychain multiple midi devices together inside the case and they will appear as one usb device to your pc/mac... much neater and less programming
    but this is something that hadnt occured to me!
    Last edited by etch; 03-21-2011 at 08:20 PM.
    woof

Tech Mentor

Or instead of daisy chaining, you could use a powered usb hub instead of chaining midi...

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by etch View Post
    This is also an interesting alternative, i was going for hardwiring a midi port to the arduino because i already play out with a Audio8 so have the availability of MIDI and it minimises the number of USB ports required for my setup,

but im pretty sure that by connecting a hardware bridge on the underside of the chip you can use the onboard ICSP header to directly access the ATmega8, and by desoldering this bridge you can then use the ICSP to access the ATmega328

the main reason for doing so is purely a point of personal interest,

but this is something that hadnt occured to me!
    You CAN do direct midi from the arduino's hardware serial interface... That's the method I'm using right now... you just have to disconnect (install a switch, or ICSP) the midi-in circuit when you are programming the 328...

There's a couple midi libraries out there, the one I'm using (http://timothytwillman.com/itp_blog/?page_id=240) is a little odd when dealing with midi in, but that oddness allows for great flexibility and efficiency...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6bIH_IvZNM

would appreciate some feedback regarding the placement of buttons near the filter controls for each deck... probably got enough room for 4-5 buttons per channel... obviously I need 'cue' and sync buttons but what else?

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast