*BUILD LOG* 'CDJ 2000'-style DIY Traktor controller - Page 2
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Tech Guru

Really like your design!

You solved the auto-gain issue with those gain encoders but what about the pitch fader?
    When you hit sync you will have the same problem as with using gain knobs instead of encoders. Soft takeover helps but it's a pain, and for pitch fader you can't have value jumps, it will ruin your mix.

Have you thinked about using a long touchstrip for pitch faders? You could pitch fader your track by rolling down your finger some times. Search some videos of SCS.3d pitch fader and you will understand what I'm suggesting.
    Another option will be using a motorized fader, but I think that is more expensive then a touch strip and maybe one more mechanic thing to break.

And what about encoders for FX parameters? Are you using them, right?

Tech Guru

Another suggestion
    Can you fit Deck C waveform on the screen when Deck A is active? there is enough space for that? Would be nice to see both waveforms...
    If Deck A is active your screen, you can show all controlls from Deck A and only the waveform from Deck C, if Deck C is active, it would be the inverse...

Last edited by V-Hoff; 10-15-2010 at 08:55 AM.

Awesome project!!!

Wow...this is ambitious!!!

On a level with Anthony More and his 3 channel VCI.....about.

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

IMO a controller like that needs less arcade buttons and more tact switches with custom caps on them. It would look much better and they have a better feel to them.

Cool design. I like it.

Tech Guru

I think the arcades are damn cool, but the blue collor doesn't fit me...
    Maybe a black arcade would look less like a toy, more pro-looking...

Quote Originally Posted by ANok? View Post
    I'm really interested in this! From what I gather, no touch sensitive jog wheel? Why is that? Also I'm not sure the mixer section should be a part of a deck controller..but i can totally see having two of these and being set. I love the idea of using traktor without having to have the laptop out..this could really help restore the audience/dj interaction.
    yeah, no touch sensitive jog wheel planned at the moment. I'm using an EKS XP10 for most of the guts of my controller, and the XP10 does have touch sensitive jogs, but it might be difficult to implement in my design as I'm significantly increasing the size of the wheels... we'll see.

and yeah, CDJ's usually don't have a mixer section but I've designed mine so that it can be used in pairs, either on their own or either side of a normal DJ mixer. Best of both worlds I think (it also saves me having to design and make a THIRD diy controller!)

Quote Originally Posted by D!RK View Post
    is there going to be a way to browse the library ???
    yep - CloneThing has hotkey support so it's easy to change the section of Traktor that I'm cloning. The buttons to the left of the LCD screen are for changing the view... the middle button displays the library.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw View Post
    Nice dude!!!!!!! This is a badass design. How much has it cost so far for it? Also can u maybe document it with pics as the project progresses?
    The EKS XP10's were about £68 each I think? (ebuyer had them on sale). I'll be doing a progress report when I've made some more progress! At the moment I'm just ordering all the parts. I hope to have 2 controllers made by Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkin2themax View Post
    badazz... what kind of encoders do you plan on using?
    good question... any suggestions? They need to have push buttons built in to them...

Quote Originally Posted by V-Hoff View Post
    Really like your design!

You solved the auto-gain issue with those gain encoders but what about the pitch fader?
    When you hit sync you will have the same problem as with using gain knobs instead of encoders. Soft takeover helps but it's a pain, and for pitch fader you can't have value jumps, it will ruin your mix.

Have you thinked about using a long touchstrip for pitch faders? You could pitch fader your track by rolling down your finger some times. Search some videos of SCS.3d pitch fader and you will understand what I'm suggesting.
    Another option will be using a motorized fader, but I think that is more expensive then a touch strip and maybe one more mechanic thing to break.

And what about encoders for FX parameters? Are you using them, right?
    yes - endless encoders for FX parameters.

have you seen any cheap touchstrips for DIY projects like this one? I'm more of a fan of tactile controls to be honest. Not going down the motorised fader route but I'm wondering how controllers like the VCI-100 handle this (they have pitch faders too)

Another suggestion
    Can you fit Deck C waveform on the screen when Deck A is active? there is enough space for that? Would be nice to see both waveforms...
    If Deck A is active your screen, you can show all controlls from Deck A and only the waveform from Deck C, if Deck C is active, it would be the inverse...
    This is definitely possible using CloneThing... you can clone any section of Traktor, stretch it, shrink it, etc and hide/show using midi/keyboard shortcuts. Your suggestion is interesting - I'll probably experiment with it once it's all built...

I think the arcades are damn cool, but the blue collor doesn't fit me...
    Maybe a black arcade would look less like a toy, more pro-looking...
    The image I knocked together in photoshop is just a concept image... I was limited by what stock images I could find on google! Everything can and probably will change! I'm planning on black arcade buttons with red outer rings (to match Traktors colours).

Quote Originally Posted by MiL0 View Post
    have you seen any cheap touchstrips for DIY projects like this one? I'm more of a fan of tactile controls to be honest.
    http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...oducts_id=9073

Not exactly cheap but will work.

Have you thought about using two pitch faders like the OTUS RAW?

oh this is nice

Quote Originally Posted by MiL0 View Post
    good question... any suggestions? They need to have push buttons built in to them...
    http://blog.lividinstruments.com/201.../code-preview/

I really like the encoders built into the Code by Livid Instruments. I contacted Jay at Livid about these encoders and he informed me that he had them specially made for the Code. He also said that he may offer them in the Livid store in the near future.

I bet if you contacted Livid they would sell you a few..

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast