Having trouble getting smooth transitions - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

the way i use it anyway

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Wizard

Default transitions

Quote Originally Posted by DJWilliams View Post
    I'm attempting my first mix but I just can't seem to get the transitions between songs to go smoothly.
    It might be that I'm 'trying too hard' and that I should just stick to the basics, because I'm messing around with cue points and effects (although I think I overuse the Delay freeze effect). I'm having trouble getting to grips with the 'build-up' chained effects presets from Ean's video.

Any tips?
    try to line up the phrases as best you can. Then, you can "preview" a little early, then eq-low or something to transition into new track, get the new track in by beat 2 or 3 of last measure before new phrase.

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    a fun one though, if you're a fan of the echo freeze.
    (when coming out of a transition)
    instead of using delay effect, drop a 1 beat loop, then whack some gate on it at 1/16 setting and slowly turn the key correction up, creates a choppy squeal that has a build up sound to it, then filter it off
    Audio or it didn't happen Seriously though, do you have a clip of how this sounds/should sound?
    Trump

Trance is:"By far the best form of music that exists. A recent study showed that if a population is divided into musical preference, those who claim a strong allegiance to trance have the highest average IQ. Trance is the music of the genius-generation."

Quote Originally Posted by trump View Post
    Audio or it didn't happen Seriously though, do you have a clip of how this sounds/should sound?
    i will look through my soundcloud and check the mix this appears in is still there...

edit; can't find the one i was thinking of, but around the 10 min point onwards on this is a similar one (mixing from serious shit to radical), without the gater. also a few beatmasher/lo fi modulation (is that right?)/iceverb bits for breakdowns
    Last edited by BradCee; 10-26-2010 at 01:27 AM.

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    This.

Use your effects during build ups, vocals, etc. to enhance the songs...
    ..during transitions, use your EQ's and filters.

I think about the amount of good DJ's i've heard play sets with two CDJ's and rock an awesome set without beatmaser, gater, and iceverb going at once.
    I know this thread is old... but I was having issues and I looked through the forum to see if anyone had the same problem as me or question. Found this, but doesn't answer my question. So, here goes...

When I make a transition from song A to song B, should the EQs ever be at the same level (in the middle) or should one be completely off and the other completely on and gradually turn it on while turning the other off (for high, mids, lows)? I'm assuming that the bass EQ is most crucial because I found that when 2 songs have high bass during a transition it's just a cluster of rumbles and shit sounds.

Secondly, there's the traditional transition where you raise the volume from song B and lower the volume from song A, but then I might be crazy, there's people that for some songs as soon as song A hits the outro, they turn song B full volume all in 1 shot and I would like to know if, again, the EQs need to be adjusted a certain way, like starting off at 0 or what? I know there's no general rule, but I'd like a guideline or tip of what you usually would do or recommend most often.

Thanks!

Tech Mentor

I play house and techno and this what I do. I usually keep the bass at 9 o'clock and the mid, treb at 12 o'clock. This is of course depended on which track is played. You gotta use your ears when cueing, to decide if the track comes in too hard using the above settings.

I never have the cues all the way down when bringing the volume up. I usually just push the fader slowly up to around 75 % and then all the way at the start of a phrase.

But again, it's all about using your ears, try out different stuff to see what works
    http://www.mixcloud.com/Olsgaard/
    House/Techno Dj from Denmark

Dohjo take the player out of your sig please.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by robbyluca View Post
    I know this thread is old... but I was having issues and I looked through the forum to see if anyone had the same problem as me or question. Found this, but doesn't answer my question. So, here goes...

When I make a transition from song A to song B, should the EQs ever be at the same level (in the middle) or should one be completely off and the other completely on and gradually turn it on while turning the other off (for high, mids, lows)? I'm assuming that the bass EQ is most crucial because I found that when 2 songs have high bass during a transition it's just a cluster of rumbles and shit sounds.

Secondly, there's the traditional transition where you raise the volume from song B and lower the volume from song A, but then I might be crazy, there's people that for some songs as soon as song A hits the outro, they turn song B full volume all in 1 shot and I would like to know if, again, the EQs need to be adjusted a certain way, like starting off at 0 or what? I know there's no general rule, but I'd like a guideline or tip of what you usually would do or recommend most often.

Thanks!
    The simplest and most general transition I do is keep all Track 1 eq at 12 o'clock. Before transitioning to Track 2 I set bass and treble on T2 to 9 o'clock. At the start of the phrase, I mix in T2 and leave the fader in the middle while ramping up T2 and lowering T1 at the same time. Then I do the same for bass. Then I just fade all the way to T2. All of that happens in one phrase usually.

dont bother with effects until you can get things sounding musically good wth just eq's.

also your phasing will have a difference to how you mix 2 tracks

edit just seen how old this thread is lol the ops probably a master at it by now

u should be able to transition from song to song without any effects perfectly with beat/bar coutning, and mixing in key. you shouldnt need anything else. effects come later.

master mixing in key first, and then fk with effects.
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast