Dealing with the Boss
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dealing with the Boss

I'm going to DJ the Halloween dance for the school I work for tonight. Got everything packed in the car (Speakers, cables, etc.). I usually don't have to worry about what I play since the principle never stays for the dances since it's usually the Assistant Principle that stays, but today is not one of those days. Today is the day I dreaded for the last 4 dances. She's going to be monitoring this one. So I after talking to the AP about the music, she told me to just tell her that not all my music is clean and there are going to be a few bad words here and there. So that's exactly what I did. Went into her office and told her.... I got the look of death. She said she had to think about it and she'd get back to me. So I'm just sitting in my room waiting for her to come talk to me (if that). Not sure what I'm going to do if she tries to censor me. I have about 95% uncensored hip-hop music. I've picked out the ones with the least amount of bad words, and I have a base setlist (which I can wander off of), but what do I do if she decides to not me play hip-hop(Which was going to be most of the night)?

get a beep sound and start juggeling
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

Use some type of reverse effect on the words you need to censor! And it will sound good!

I just spoke to her. She said as long as it's not every other word, we're good to go. Unfortunately I don't know the lyrics to each song, so my bleeping skills will probably be at 75%. I figured I'd just kill the mid to the ones I know are coming up.

What software/system are you using?
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Using VDJ. (Just got Traktor LE with the Audio 2, so my plan is to migrate over to TP by the end of the year)

Tech Mentor

Dude... When you get a good song, try to get the clean version, dirty version, and instrumental. You'll be set for almost any scenario if you do that.

every popular song has a radio edit (clean version)

it's popular because it was on the radio, duh!
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

So the night ended well and somewhat seemed to have worked itself out. The kids wanted nothing to do with Hip-Hop (which to me was heartbreaking, since thats my main target). All they wanted was spanish music (which I don't have a lot of) and EDM. Played EDM for about an hour and a half. These kids shuffled non-stop. It's funny too, because at one point I started playing Ghosts n stuff and one of the students runs up to me and hands me his Deadmau5 helmet he had made (Looked pretty good too). So I went along with it and put it on. Kids went nuts. At one point I started to play hip-hop and the dance floor went from being full to empty in about 10 seconds. 2 tracks and nothing. So I didn't play it for the rest of the night. Learned a lot that night, but now I know. Gotta be ready.

good to hear that all went well..
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast