Beginning Again, Setup Help

Default Beginning Again, Setup Help

Its been four years since I have DJ'd and so much has changed since then. I am looking to put together a home kit and was looking for some insight.

What I currently have:

esi juli@ internal sound card
    Traktor Scratch Pro (on the way)
    1 Technics 1200mk2
    AV40 monitors (these probably will be replaced in the future; BX5a or KRK RP5)

What I wish to add:

A controller
    A mixer

I was originally going to purchase the S4 until Native Instruments threw a monkey wrench into the works by dropping the price on TSP. I am assuming I could still purchase this, but it seems redundant having two instances of Traktor Scratch. Also, If i did get the S4, how would that work? I am assuming I would use TSP and manually map the S4.

I was also thinking about purchasing the Behringer DDM4000, but again, if I have a dedicated controller, it seems redundant having a mixer that is also a midi controller. Or maybe that is a good thing. Also, how important is it to have a NI certified mixer?

I appreciate all your insights,

Matt

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

The S4 is totally different software. You would be able to use TSP and S4 software at the same time and you should be able to use the S4 with the time code on your one 1200 now with the Audio 8, but the S4 software is not Scratch ready yet. NI has said that it will be in a future update that most people are guessing will be around january, but no one really knows.

As long as you have an Audio 8 or 4 you don't need an NI certified mixer. If you ordered the full TSP package You'll get an Audio 8 in the package so your set as far as that goes. I would still recommend the S4 now even with the TSP. if you play in a club one day that doesn't have room for the S4 you can still use TSP with turntables or CDJ's.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Excellent. Thanks photojojo. That is what I needed to know. I did order the full package. It is good to know that I can use any mixer with A8. I have had my eyes on the Rane Empath.