How often do you break in a night?

View Poll Results: How many breaks do you put in your mix?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • None

7 24.14%
  • 1-2

7 24.14%
  • 3-4

9 31.03%
  • 5-6

3 10.34%
  • Too many to count. I don't do much mixing...

3 10.34%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How often do you break in a night?

For an all night mix at a party or club, how many breaks/pauses between tracks do you throw in? Dramatic breakdowns and buildups? Solid 4 hour mix kinda person? Explain yours!

For the poles sake, we'll say a 4 hour set.

Not sure I'm with you tbh? Tracks tend to have breakdowns and buildups built into them so the only breaks I'll have is if I'm radically changing tempo.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

If you're talking about actually stoping between songs…never. I'll probably do it this weekend at a party once in 3 hours because I'm spinning for college kids, spin prog/trance/techno around 130-135, am opening for a guy who spins 120ish-bpm house/dubstep, and plan on ending my set with some hip hop that I actually like. And it still won't be a "stop"…just effected to all hell and with a pretty quick tempo transition.

If you're talking about big, epic breakdowns…I try no more than 1-1.5/hr on average at my own parties, and about 2-4/hr if i'm trying to give candy clubbers a good trip and send everyone else to the bar. But…it's been a while since I've actually done that for money, so…yeah…

The only breaks I've taken during my 20-ish gigs in the past two years were when police showed up to the party (about once per gig) and when a drunk chick unplugged my mixer so she could charge her phone >.<
    The enemy's gate is DOWN.

MacBook Pro | 2.16 Ghz C2D | 120 GB HDD | 3 GB RAM | 250 GB EX HDD
    Mac Pro | 2x2.88 Ghz Quad-Core | 320 GB HDD | 6 GB RAM | 1 TB EX HDD
    Ableton Suite | Akai APC 80 | Torq Xponent

About 1 an hour. Most of the bars/clubs around here are non-smoking, and i'm fairly weak when it comes to nicotine. I have a couple pre-recorded 2-3 song mixes just for this purpose. Nothing fancy on the mixes, just a smooth transition and usually something a little mellower than what i've been playing. This helps me to remember to calm it down and give the people a little break to get drinks and such. And it gives me the chance to build the energy back up when i'm done, which is always fun. I also use this time to try to coax more people inside, which isn't going to be as much of a problem with winter almost here.

Voted too many to count.

Basically it comes down to genre and vibe I'm playing. (The only option I'm missing in this poll. )
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

When you say break i assume you mean transitions into songs to give people some time to get some energy/drinks together.

In a 4 hour set I'd probably thrown in 4-5 breaks of that nature
    Dancing to good music should be like having sex with the air.

Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/dj-jarvis

Yeah sorry guys, I meant like epic breakdowns, times for people to take a breather or get a drink.

I do 4-5 myself, just wanted to see what everyone else is doing

Tech Mentor

ohhhhh. I thought you meant pauses/breaks as in dead space between tunes...

At parties I've done, I never cut the music, just playback a track that's in my "already mixed" playlist. So I will take a break, but they wont

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast