OT: Beer spilled over Spin Controler

Default OT: Beer spilled over Spin Controler

Hi there guys. I've Djed at my friends cottage this weekend and some drunk asshole spilled a beer over my precius controller (while i was a sleep, i know my bad)... The controller itself is working but thanks to to beer some things are messy. The line faders, are not working properly, all the way down and there is still some sound from the deck, when moving with correction faders, it moves with line faders (GREAT FATURE ... not really )... So i guess the beer maybe evaporated at most... but there is something still left and its connecting those faders together... :-(

Coud u guys advice me a way how to fix it? i was thinking about sinking it in to destiled water (which is not a conductor even if its a water because there are no minerals in it), but i'm worried the amount of beer in the console will make it UNDESTILED and the result will be the same... or take grain alcohol and clean it up with (also it should prevent corrosion)... and for sure dig the whole controller to rice after clean up (will suck up the rest of water)

Thanks for ANY advice!

Wd40?
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

if i do get this right... it will fix it, fix the faders being a bit tought (thanks to the beer), because its also a lubricant AND protect it to get damaged again?? if yes i just WOWED

Tech Mentor

There is a product called contact cleaner you can buy. I like this stuff called Detoxit Gold for my tac-lights, it should work great for the faders.
    Also, just a fyi when liquid is spilled on electronics, IMMEDIATELY disconnect the power, open everything up and let it dry out. Checking to see "if it still works" is a good way to permanently destroy it.

Was cheking after.... hmmm 12+ hours... The WD40 sounds GREAT!

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Theres a great tutorial on the blog by Photojojo on cleaning the faders and jog wheels on a VCI 100. Might be of use to you with a Spin..?

another reason to immediately move drinks away from your set up...i did it numerous times last night...someone would set a drink down...and i would move it immediately...

buy the contact cleaner...spend the five bucks...plus you will have that can for the rest of your life...home depot carries it...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    Wd40?

I would NEVER spray WD40 on any of my electronics. Take it apart, pull the faders and dunk them in isopropyl alcohol. Then use an electronics lubricant to treat the faders. That's the only way to clean them correctly.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/08/1...ers-jog-wheel/
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

Fix it forcing the prick to buy you a replacement. Don't be a wuss, take a stand.
    You really are my Ecstasy, my real life fantasy.
    I’ll never be the same, I'll tell you for sure.

+1 to 'jojo's tutorial. fix an alcohol related fuck up with... more alcohol! hope you manage to fix it dude.

P.S. if someone spillt beer over my VCI and I knew who it was, they wouldn't keep hold of their testicles very long unless they paid for it. They might not even get to keep them if they did pay for it, I love that thing like my own son.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES