Own Remixes.

Thread: Own Remixes.

Default Own Remixes.

So, I did not want to hijack the DubPlates thread, since it is kind of offtopic, but then again, on topic in a way what I want to ask.

Would you think its WRONG if I played own remixes of tracks in my mixes, also the mixes that people can download? I mean, I have 2-3 tracks that I have totally chopped apart (DoDaDo by Robotman for instance), and which I want to use in my "Demo" that I am sending out, and which I am planning to promote myself with.

As long as I do not give this "Remix" to anyone, it should be cool right? Or should I ask the artist if I can do it? I mean, and the end of the day, I did the remixes when I started to mash up some tracks, so I could do it "live" as well.

Your thoughts are valuable! (And I do not think that R. Hawtin will let me use his loops!! haha)

just look at what all the big name DJ's r doin, makin your own edits/remixes of tracks is more of a standard today, I think many do it to differance themselfs from every1 else, so that your sets is uniqe in a way.

This is also 1 of the reasons of why i wanna have 4 decks to play with, cuz then i can add loops and samples to the main tracks and thereby creating something else.
    And I like to do it live, shure im adding "building blocks" here and there but I like the idea of havin the 4 deck controll over it all.
    Last edited by other1; 12-01-2008 at 11:15 AM. Reason: more stuff added
    my music : www.soundcloud.com/themaxive

Traktor 2.5 Audio 6 midifighter classic x1
    vestax PMC-CX
    midifighter pro SUPER KNOB's runnin beatmasher mapping + some other custom stuff

Tech Wizard

make the track, put it in your mix, and if you are feeling like a decent person, you will send your remix to the original artist so that they can see how you've recontextualized their work.

Dannyboy and I did the same thing in our restricted sessions - Progressional Education part I.

In which we made remixes of Foo fighters(Come Alive) and a track by 16bit Lolitas.
    The rar file contains the MP3 and tracklist
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I'd agree with takeabath

Honestly, I don't think there's a problem with it. If you've spent the time making them, and they sound good enough to go on a demo for a gig, then do it. If anything, it calls attention to your talents.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Hehe, 5 minutes after I made the post, I called to M-Nus and asked what they think about it. The guy said that he would like to hear a version of my "remix", but could not really answer the question. I am going to finish the remix, and then send it to them, who knows, maybe they like it, and release it?! lol

In anyway, I think the artists appreciate if you send them a copy, but on the other hand I do not think that you are in any copyright violation if you use it in a mix? I mean, at the end of the day, it happens all the time, and no label actually goes after the remixer in the end. Bootlegs are all over the place.

I will however take the advice from the guy that I spoke to in Germany (he sounded awfully Canadian, might it have been the man, the myth, the legend, himself?!) and send the track to them once I have the final draft. I am not going to finish the track if they say "Sorry lad, You can not use it!"