192 vs 320
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 192 vs 320

Tech Convert

Default 192 vs 320

Some of the music I beeg getting to build my collection up varies between 192k and 320k. When using it in a mix, is there any real difference in sound quality? If I mix a song with 192 in with a song at 320 is there going to be a noticeable increase/decrease in sound quality?

Unless you have the hearing of a bat, you probably won't hear any difference between 320 and 160 kbit when you're mixing at home.

I did a test on a forum with four different tracks in "uncompressed" wav, 320, 192 and ~140 vbr - and it was totally inconclusive.

I can hear the difference between 192 and 320 very easily. Especially in electro house tracks. When that over the top bass kicks in, the digital distortions become obvious, especially in the low end.

Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, i can tell. I think it all depends on what speakers you're using.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Tech Mentor

Agree, with low end equipment is barely noticeable. Of course in PA's and Good headphones difference is huge believe me.
    15.4 mbp i5, NI X-1(x2), Allen & Heath Xone-42, NI Audio 4dj , TSP 2.0.1, Stanton Uberstand.

speakers and soundcard

192 sounds awful at high volumes

Quote Originally Posted by maxonemillionone View Post
    I can hear the difference between 192 and 320 very easily. Especially in electro house tracks. When that over the top bass kicks in, the digital distortions become obvious, especially in the low end.

Just my 2 cents.
    +1

Tech Convert

There's information all over the internet about frequency response, resolution, and clarity for different bitrates.

If you listen to a 192kbps mp3 and a 320kbps mp3 together on a crappy car stereo, or through your cell-phone's speaker, or maybe played too loud in a crappy bar or club while you're drunk/on drugs with no hearing protection, they won't sound all that different. It's the same as viewing a finely printed photograph with sunglasses on, or comparing LCD displays outside in direct sunlight.

With quality headphones, studio monitors, or a good club system, there's definitely a difference. And when you're degrading quality by adjusting pitch to beatmatch songs or changing their key, it doesn't take a huge leap of thought to realize that having more quality to begin with definitely helps. This was one of the major arguments for vinyl over digital media - instead of 'frames' or 'steps' in digital tracks, analog recordings are one continuous signal right down to whatever resolution your recording media (or the needle on your turntable) can resolve.

Go for the best possible bitrate you can afford to buy, and the biggest file size you can store.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I have Ultrasone 650's going through either and Audio 4 or my new TKS4 and I can't tell a difference between 192 and 320. My hearing is good, no tinitus or anything like that. I'm not saying there is no difference, just that I can't pick them apart.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I don't think you can tell a difference either. there's so many other variables that can have a bigger effect - and I think how well the original track was recorded and mastered is the biggest. Just my two penny's worth.
    Last edited by Phil Morse; 11-01-2010 at 04:21 PM.
    I blog at: Digital DJ Tips and I'm on Twitter, YouTube and Facebook

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast