Worst Night Ever? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    sebastiannz

Even though these stories are bad, they are pretty funny in retrospect eh

I'll add my own too. A friend of a friend was having a 21st and my friend told him I had decks and dj'd a bit, so he invited me to play.

I turn up with my mate who also dj'd and we set all the gear up, 2 x 1210s, 2 x cdj800s, mixer, big speakers etc, and start playing.

We are busting out all our coolest warm up tunes, sexy deep house and some more party style electro every so often (this was in 2004 or so when electro was big). People are starting to arrive and drink but the dance floor is empty. No probs we say to each other...just keeep warming them up and eventually start dropping the bigger tunes to get people excited.

After about 30 minutes of this 'plan' we realise it's not really working. Everyone is standing around drinking and noone is getting into it. I'm like WTF, it's not like I'm dropping deep house underground shit from obscure producers. My mate is similarly puzzled/annoyed.

Then the 21st guy comes over, looking pretty drunk and happy (despite our crap dj efforts). He hands us a Bollywood CD (yes this is an indian party) and says hey, do you guys mind playing this? Since he was nice, and it was his party, and we were about to give up mixing anyway and get pissed, we thought sure why not.

Now I'm not exaggerating but within TWO seconds of the first track, some mainstream Bollywood pop dance track, I think five girls literally RAN to the dance floor and started going mental. Within a few minutes the dance floor was packed. Me and my mate are standing there going...wtf.

At this point I walked over to the beer crate, grabbed about 3 stellas, and went and sat down to drown my sorrows :P

But I did get paid!

Tech Guru

House parties are a SHIT SHOW. Be careful about what ones you actually decide to DJ!
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by dafe View Post
    Personally speaking, I'd probably prefer finding a party where I don't need to take a knife and fighting experience.
    Horses for courses though.
    Everybody needs to know how to dish out a beatdown. Some people go through life being rude jackbags to everyone they meet, because nobody kicked thier ass in 8th grade. Some drunk guy touches your stuff (and very possibly breaks it) then what? Get him to pay for it? Good luck with that. "That spinny thing I broke cost $700?! That's more than my rent!" Someone gets too close to your stuff, give them a look that says "Imma gonna kill you!" It'll probably end right there.

That said, a quick little off-topic rant about knives. (I love knives) Knives are a horrible choice for self defense. Getting in a knife fight is stupid, and if you do, you deserve the scars you definitely will get. Another thing, I'm not gonna get any trace of drunk guy on my Limited Edition Microtech UTX-85 or Benchmade Mini-Reflex. Those knives are far too nice to mess up getting in a fight with. A much better choice is BJJ, Krav Magra, Muy Thai, or Judo.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nada View Post
    Everybody needs to know how to dish out a beatdown. Some people go through life being rude jackbags to everyone they meet, because nobody kicked thier ass in 8th grade. Some drunk guy touches your stuff (and very possibly breaks it) then what? Get him to pay for it? Good luck with that. "That spinny thing I broke cost $700?! That's more than my rent!" Someone gets too close to your stuff, give them a look that says "Imma gonna kill you!" It'll probably end right there.

That said, a quick little off-topic rant about knives. (I love knives) Knives are a horrible choice for self defense. Getting in a knife fight is stupid, and if you do, you deserve the scars you definitely will get. Another thing, I'm not gonna get any trace of drunk guy on my Limited Edition Microtech UTX-85 or Benchmade Mini-Reflex. Those knives are far too nice to mess up getting in a fight with. A much better choice is BJJ, Krav Magra, Muy Thai, or Judo.
    Id damn well not be at this type of party (by intention) with a crowd of meat heads and bimbos like the one described. I'd like to think that the music I follow and DJ usually lends itself to a subculture of society with a slightly higher level of intelligence or at least a segment of it that isnt partial to cock measuring contests once they've got some alcohol in them.

House parties can be a bit shit. My experience with them is that they attract a type of people. Some sort of fight, threat, violence, negativity ends up breaking out. Chalk it up to what you may.

The idea of bringing some "convincing" mates to keep around the booth seems like a cool idea to keep trouble at bay. Defending yourself or your equipment from schmucks should be the LAST thing a DJ has to worry about.......see how good your set turns out when you do.

Sure a guy needs to know how to fight and defend himself but this isnt the fucking octagon and the artist shouldnt have to worry about that type of shit while performing. (would you frequent a venue where you had to do that shit yourself as a DJ or dancer? of course not).

The mindframe I want to be in while spinning is creative, inspired, artistic, peaceful. If I have to switch to "break your fucking face" mode I've already lost what I hoped to communicate and provide for the night.

And wtf Judo about Muy Thais?

All joking aside though...a knife????! Maybe its just me but get out of the scene if you feel you need to have this with you. For me its always all or nothing and I shudder to think how my level of rage would end up in a split second with a knife. All you have to do is be willing to do what the other guy wont do and do it 1st. One usually doesnt "fight" with a knife one usually kills.
    http://soundcloud.com/rvltion909

...chasing beats through ghetto streets...

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by rvltion909 View Post
    All joking aside though...a knife????! Maybe its just me but get out of the scene if you feel you need to have this with you. For me its always all or nothing and I shudder to think how my level of rage would end up in a split second with a knife. All you have to do is be willing to do what the other guy wont do and do it 1st. One usually doesnt "fight" with a knife one usually kills.
    I'm in the military, DJing is a side thing for me, so maybe that explains me always having a blade. Collecting knives is my other hobby, have a super-rare Emerson CQC7 on the way right now, in ..wait, nevermind. But seriously, never get in a knife fight.

You are right about the house party thing. It attracts a certain kind of sketchy vibe. People can act crazier because they aren't in public, which is the good and bad thing about house parties.

sebastiannz

I'm not djing at any more house parties unless I know the crowd is cool, and that includes not knifing me.

SEtting up your own parties is the other option...

Yeah....rule of thumb here in SA.....

If he has a gun....you have a chance to get away with your shit. The chance that he will pull of a shot and attract attention in public....is not that great.

However....if he has a knife...you in trouble. RUN....and RUN FAST.

A knife makes no sound....is messy to get tangled up with.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    Yeah....rule of thumb here in SA.....

If he has a gun....you have a chance to get away with your shit. The chance that he will pull of a shot and attract attention in public....is not that great.

However....if he has a knife...you in trouble. RUN....and RUN FAST.

A knife makes no sound....is messy to get tangled up with.
    Shit man, that's not the side of cape town I saw on a family holiday when I was 16!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

I'd much rather get strangled with a phone cord than knifed...

negativity

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast