Beat juggling problem with timecode vinyl
    Tech Guru

Default Beat juggling problem with timecode vinyl

Ok, so you know how you see scratch/DMC Dj's with stickers on the title sticker of the record? Just a straight line so that they can spin the record back to say, for example, the 12 o'clock position on both records in order to loop shit (beat juggle). Just like in this video; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCA4yiPfFIg
    Well I set my control vinyl up like that a while ago but I'm having trouble making shit line up.

First off I wanna just mention that I didn't just stick the sticker in any old position, they're definitely in the same place (been doin this for years now so know what I'm doing). But anyone got any idea as to how I can make this work mid-tune? With traditional vinyl I'd have stickers all over my shit so I could just drop the needle in front of the sticker, pull the record back so the needle moves to the correct place and bang I'm cue'd up ready to go. But you can't do this with the control vinyl obviously.

So, what I wanna know is say I'm playing a tune, I've messed with some cue points on my controller so I am now in relative mode & can't go back to absolute cos it will fuck everything up. The needle is somewhere in the middle of the record. How do I get to the same point with the same tune on the other deck? I have it set up so that if I load the same track it replicates the one thats playing, meaning they'll both be playing together at the same time as soon as I load the same tune. What I am doing right now is getting the sticker to rotate at the same position on each record then hitting the load button so that they are both at the same place and then going from there. But, forgive me if I am wrong, I am sure that because I am not on exactly the same groove on each record the stickers dont quite line up & Im having trouble with the sticers not pulling back to the same place. I'm thinking maybe because the grooves get closer together later on in the record and so the a full circle on 1 part of the vinyl wont be a full circle on another part.

Get me?

Sorry for long message. Any help appreciated

Cheers

I ran into the same thing while messing about. Short of sticking to absolute mode, I'm not sure if there's a mostly perfect (sticker drift notwithstanding) way of doing it. Spinning both records to have the markers in the same spot then hitting the same hotcue on both decks is too clumsy.

do this, in relative mode, line your sticker up where you want it, and then press the cue button, do the same for the other record, then they should both be at the same point in relation to the sticker

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gr0wTesK View Post
    do this, in relative mode, line your sticker up where you want it, and then press the cue button, do the same for the other record, then they should both be at the same point in relation to the sticker
    But what if one needle is towards the end of the vinyl and one is towards the beginning... I'm sure I'm experiencing sticker drift due to the difference in groove radius.... unless Im tripping

Tech Mentor

Is it me or does the last 2 versions of Traktor drift more than previously?

Traktor used to seem dead on. In the infamous Q-Bert video comparison he taps the TT and Serato drifts backwards. I am getting this a lot out of Traktor these days.

It's been months since I was using Traktor, I gave Ms Pinky my best shot and went back to Traktor. Upon going back I noticed the drifting right away. Sometimes it drifts even if I dont have the needle on the record.

Am I missing something?

Could be noise on your cable mate.

I am getting similar issues....and have decided to get the multicore cables to try and eliminate this.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Maybe you could put a round "load" sticker at the beginning of the vinyl and go the "normal way" of reseting the needle position each time you load a new track, seems like its a bit counter productive, but just look at the dmc ( the old ones, using "real vinyl" and not battle ones ) with a bit of training, reseting the vinyl isnt so time consuming, it does impeach you to instant double a track and having it playing without any manipulation at exactly the same position, but id say that if you do that you will almost never move from the 4-5 first minutes of the control vinyl, thus being in the same ball park as far as the sticker position go.
    also if you stay in the first minutes, wait for the sticker to get to the same pos. then hit the cue point, you'll be more or less in the same groove length on the vinyl.
    or you could also map a button to cycle thru int. mode an vinyl control, inst.double your song, push the button to be in int. mode, set the needle, re-push the button and then voila, your back to the place you want to be in control of your vinyl.
    Last edited by oneapemob; 11-19-2010 at 01:03 PM. Reason: adding info
    macbook pro, technics trntbl, numark pro sm-1, vestax pmc 08 pro, traktor scratch pro 2, akai mpd 24, novation nocturn, vci-100 fw1.4, krk rp5g2 and FBV express mk2