First house party coming up... but need to buy some missing gear
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default First house party coming up... but need to buy some missing gear

Hey all,

OK I have been asked to supply the tunes for a big late bonfire night house party next Friday. I'm quite happy to do it but I just realised I have been bedroom DJing on the cheap and have one piece of equipment missing.

A mixer.

I have 2x1210s, Audio 8 DJ, X1 and a APC40 (have other gear but no need to list it)

The APC40 was my makeshift mixer. All I assigned was the EQ, XFade and some faders. The X1 handled the FXs.

So I need to buy something to fill the gap. I was looking at the DJM800. Part of me wants to try out scratching but the other part knows that I'm more into electro/dnb so a 4 channel mixer would be better than a really really good 2 channel mixer for scratching.

but then I think... do I really want to be taking my turntables to a house party? I don't have flight cases for them.

So then I think... hmm S4? But that leaves me £800 down, less space in my room and I would still need a mixer for my turntables. (Can't plug them into the S4 can I?)

I'm really confused guys and gals. I need to buy something but I don't know what. Friends have suggested I just buy a cheap mixer (was looking at the Behringer 4000) but I just think I would rather spend a lot more money on a better mixer.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I wouldnt advise buying an expensive mixer just to have some prick spill beer over it at a party.

Id probably borrow my friends expensive mixer and spill beer on it myself.
    Just kidding.

Just get a cheap mixer for the party that you can use for a while and sell on easily when the time comes to get a better one for your room or if you decide on something that you really want.

Dont make hasty decision man.

Already spoken to him about smoke and beer. Didn't say I wouldn't play if there was going to be but they said that they won't be smoking inside and drinks won't be near me. I'm already gutted about some chips in one of my decks from parcel force so if anyone came anywhere near my gear with even a cuddly toy I would break their neck lol.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tobes View Post
    So then I think... hmm S4? But that leaves me £800 down, less space in my room and I would still need a mixer for my turntables. (Can't plug them into the S4 can I?)
    You can play regular vinyl with the TT's using the S4 as the mixer now. NI has said the S4 will support timecode in the future.
    Last edited by photojojo; 11-03-2010 at 06:46 AM.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    You can play regular vinyl with the TT's using the S4 as the mixer now. NI has said the S4 will support timecode in the future.
    Guess no discount though? Just seems like I already have the software minus some features.

Tech Mentor

I'd get the DDM4000, it's cheap but it does a good job.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tobes View Post
    Guess no discount though? Just seems like I already have the software minus some features.
    Your not buying the software. Your buying the controller which is worth every bit of $899. The software comes with it for free.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

Can always go pick up a ecler nuo 5. Good 4 channel mixer with effects and the jazz but it's also got a really good crossfade.

Tech Wizard

From what I've heard the DDM4000 is totally unlike Behringer's other mixers and actually is a pretty good mixer considered the price. I'd be going for that, in fact, I would've bought it a few months ago if I didn't came across the S4.
    In your case however, with an APC and X1 already present, having a simpler mixer would do the trick aswell. Or an S4
    I don't get why you're considering a DJM800 when the S4 seems too pricey for your likings though. Plus the fact you can actually hook up your TT's (with timecode support later on) would make me decide S4.. again

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Your not buying the software. Your buying the controller which is worth every bit of $899. The software comes with it for free.
    Yeah. I guess it's because it's 4 decks and I have already bought TSP so I think of it like the Audio 8 DJ bundle. Just got to get it out of my head tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Terreur View Post
    From what I've heard the DDM4000 is totally unlike Behringer's other mixers and actually is a pretty good mixer considered the price. I'd be going for that, in fact, I would've bought it a few months ago if I didn't came across the S4.
    In your case however, with an APC and X1 already present, having a simpler mixer would do the trick aswell. Or an S4
    I don't get why you're considering a DJM800 when the S4 seems too pricey for your likings though. Plus the fact you can actually hook up your TT's (with timecode support later on) would make me decide S4.. again
    You came all over your S4....dude...

The S4 doesn't seem pricey to me. I think I would just be bummed out if it's timecode support wasn't the best because then I might still have to buy a mixer. I need something that will do all the jobs I want it to.

As for the DJM800, it's just a well all rounded mixer. Midi support would be nice (yeah the DDM400 has this). I just assumed as the industry standard it would be the best mixer to have.

Was playing on my decks today and I'm thinking it's too much hassle to take them to the party. But then I have no full controller to seek through tracks and cue them up etc. Yeah the X1 can do this but it's not the most elegant.

GAAAHHHH lol.

I'm thinking S4 or DDM4000 now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast