S4 Sound Quality
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default S4 Sound Quality

Just curious if anyone has foundthe sound quality to be on par with the Audio 4 or not.

I read in another forum that one user found the sound quality lacking when compared with a Serato SSL-3 box. And from what I have heard Audio 4 is > Serato SSL3. So is the S4 really lacking?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I recorded this yesterday while experimenting with the sample decks. It's the straight wave file that Traktor spits out, I didn't do anything to it at all post processing wise. It should give you an idea on sound quality.

Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

If thats an internal recording, its not going to give a reflection on the quality of the audio interface is it? :P

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

You have a point. I can do an external recording in wav, but then I would question the quality of my cables and recording device. I sold my Audio 4 so I can't go from one to the other and compare any way which I think would be the best way to answer the OPs question. I guess the best way to tell is to hook it up to your system and try it out.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

I've always had better sound quality from an analogue mixer. So if the SL3 is going into a DJM-800 and the S4 is going straight to a speaker then I would think the DJM800/SL3 may have better sound. In a club chances are your gonna plug into a line in the house mixer. At that point I think the sound would be pretty even.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

I hope the sound is as good as the audio 4 units, since it is essentially billed as such. i was discussing this with a friend of mine who has the DX. we were wondering if the S4's soundcard will compare with the DX's. I guess only time will tell.

I know Karlos has done 30+ gigs with his pre-production S4 and he hasn't complained about the sound quality.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    I know Karlos has done 30+ gigs with his pre-production S4 and he hasn't complained about the sound quality.
    i dont think hes allowed to complain

Quote Originally Posted by the shmobletons View Post
    i dont think hes allowed to complain
    I dno! Karlos?
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I recorded this yesterday while experimenting with the sample decks. It's the straight wave file that Traktor spits out, I didn't do anything to it at all post processing wise. It should give you an idea on sound quality.
    You do understand that recording in Traktor is direct to disk and has nothing to do with -or- no reflection on the audio interface you are using right? (Unless you are recording an analog input to a thru ch.)

Answer to the poster:
    I did some brief testing, I found the S4 to be the same of not better than the ADJ8. It seems hotter and offers balanced outputs. No complaints.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast