VCI-100SE or S4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VCI-100SE or S4

Tech Student

Default VCI-100SE or S4

Is there any point of getting the vci over the S4?

Still can't make my mind up :S

Tech Convert

Well, perhaps the DJTT mapping. However, I would just get the S4 if I were you, its a new piece of hardware, and where the future's at

Quote Originally Posted by kornel View Post
    Well, perhaps the DJTT mapping. However, I would just get the S4 if I were you, its a new piece of hardware, and where the future's at

I hope your correct.... with all the problems ive been reading with the S4, im starting to wonder if i just shouldnt have kept my VCI !! lol

Tech Convert

well to say the truth the whole problem thing seems to be blown out of proportion a bit. yes, there is an issue with the left jogwheel, but it takes a minute to fix and anyone can do it other than that, it seems to be mostly isolated cases

Yeah I have absolutely no problems with my S4, except for some crackling every now and then but I'm guessing it's because I have an older laptop with a shitty sound card; I'm also willing to bet it's also the cue seeing as I haven't tried the balanced out's yet.

Tech Student

so the vci is pre much obsolete noww ?

like there is no point buying it ye? S4 is better in everyway??

Not at all. Yet. The S4 has some layout shit it needs to get figured out. Like if you want to custom map the controller you have to do it in MIDI I think? Or if you map it it is still HID? I have yet to figure that out.

Other than that I'd say yes. Well the VCI has more buttons. The S4 could use more buttons... But it has knobs to make up for that...

I'm a VCI owner so I'm biased. But I like the VCI because it's smaller and cheaper, which lets you assemble your own custom setup. Mine includes the VCI, a midifighter, a Novation launchpad, and the Audio 4 DJ. I assembled gradually over time and didn't need to do one big cash outlay. I like the configuration because I find it to be very modular and flexible. I'm not "putting all my eggs in one basket" so to speak. But if you want your setup to be turn key all in one box then maybe the S4 is for you.

This video considers this very question. Sort of.

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7460407/

I'd honestly say this:

If you plan on incorporating CDJ's or TT's into your setup in the future alongside digital controls, the S4 is probably the way to go. Also, if you plan on using more than two channels the S4 is probably a better bet just because of the 4 channel mixer session.

If you plan on just using two channels (like most DJ's honestly) the VCI-100SE is not a bad call. It has great build quality and support, and it really does more than you need with the two channels.

Really it comes down to personal preference, and what your standards for incorporating other aspects of your setup will be. I personally would prefer a S4 just for the sheer fact of being able to easily plug in TT's/CDJ's. Plus it looks awesome, but that's an honestly minor consideration.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast