OT (Kinda..) - Value of Technics now they're discontinued.
    Tech Wizard

Default OT (Kinda..) - Value of Technics now they're discontinued.

Hi Guys

I know its kinda OT for a digital forum, but I was wondering what everyone reckons about the value of Technics will be in the future now that they've stopped production.

I dont use mine and I was going to sell them, but I think I'll hold onto them for a year and see what happens!

Whats everyones thoughts?

It's like everything else. It depends on the condition, rarity and original price of the item. I wouldn't hold my breath on making a load of money off them, especially as there are so many of them out there, there are plenty of spare parts and they are so reliable.

depends on dement

mind set 1- well, now that the iconic TTs are done, maybe its time to embrace something new price= down or same

mind set 2- i need to grab em while i can! price= up

mind set 3- same as now, and the price wont change much.
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

I don't see the value going up by much really. if at all.
    My reasoning is that the TT market is increasingly niche and latency/tactile issues with emerging digital solutions seems to be improving with time.

Tech Wizard

isn't it only the MK6 that has been discontinued? and unless you live in Japan, you can't get these anyway.
    I haven't seen a press statement from Matsushita/Panasonic/Technics that has said they are discontinuing any turntables
    Current Top 3:
    1. Loco Dice - Seeing through Shadows
    2. Light Year - Sex Education
    3. Simian Mobile Disco - Cruel Intentions (DJ Pierre Remix)

Tech Guru

i wouldn't excpect a dramatic price increase for atleast 50 years.

if these new controller manufacturers use their head someone will build a controller that emulates the proper feel and size of technics turntables to capitilize on the the turntablist market who prefers vinyl to the other alternatives like CDJs and the current deck controllers like the NS7.

Tech Mentor

Personally I think the price will increase, but only when they become rare, AND when a group of people decide they dont like emulations and they want the real thing, in an old school fashion.

No different than analogue synthesis. When the DX7 came out and then soft synths and laptops took over, people were selling analogue synths ultra cheap. There were many people clamoring on about how emulations would only get better, or how they were equal, how convenient they were, and how people should embrace the future and let go of the past etc...

Although digital technology is a beautiful thing, it is digital technology. Analogue is just a different kind of quality. Not saying it's better, just different. Soon enough kids will start appreciating it again in the DJ community just as people are trying to acquire analogue synths in who have been using software for the past 10 years.

It only matters to those who can actually notice the difference, but those are the folks who make it valuable. Once you notice the difference it's impossible to ignore.

It must be said that although they're iconic and will at some point be classed as a collector's item, there are SO MANY out there at the moment that it will be a while before the price goes up that much. IMO.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    It must be said that although they're iconic and will at some point be classed as a collector's item, there are SO MANY out there at the moment that it will be a while before the price goes up that much. IMO.

I see the cost initially shooting up (especially on craigslist), then coming back down to a more reasonable price point. I agree, over time the "real value" will go up over time.
    PC | TSP2 | A8 | S4 | X1 | T1200MK2

Beat Gridding Tutorial