Traktor S4 or 4-channel mixer?

View Poll Results: Traktor S4 or 4-channel mixer + VCI-100?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Traktor S4

18 64.29%
  • 4-channel Mixer

10 35.71%
    Tech Convert

Default Traktor S4 or 4-channel mixer?

Howdy, I'm seeking some advice for upgrading my current setup:

Audio 2 DJ (going to my home theater amp and speakers)
    VCI-100 SE (with default DJTT mapping)
    Traktor Pro, internal mixing mode

Two reasons I want to upgrade:

1. I am buying monitors, so I want a better way to connect them (direct cables from the Audio2DJ would work fine, but I'd also like to be able to connect other sources to the monitors on occasion)

2. I want to start using the 3rd and 4th decks, mainly to play loops, but I find it too hard to do with internal mixing and the VCI-100

Traktor S4 would cover all the bases. I could sell all my stuff (I suppose I could get a few hundred?) and just have an S4. My only concern is that it's way bigger than the VCI-100, which I do occasionally take in my bag to parties etc.

Alternatively, I could get an inexpensive 4-channel mixer (I see on craigslist a Behringer DDM4000 for under $300) and 4-channel audio interface. Then I can keep the VCI-100 and use external mixing.

What would you recommend? Especially those of you who have gone from a VCI-100 setup to an S4?

I haven't generally messed around with the VCI-100 midi mappings, I'm not doing anything fancy enough to need it. I also don't do a lot of controllerism/cue juggling. I am mostly just mixing, using fx, and want to mix in more loops via deck 3 and 4.

TIA

Tech Wizard

I'm in the same situation and I'm not completely sure S4 can solve all the issues.
    An external mixer configuration is much more complete.

Andrea

In my permanent setup at home I'd always want to have a 4 channel mixer because of the flexibility it gives you. I never thought I would, but I've now managed to fill ALL the inputs of my DJM-600 with various peripherals. Imagine plugging them all into monitors in turn!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Imagine plugging them all into monitors in turn!
    That's what soundcards are for

I still have my Audio8DJ soundcard which is only being used for my analogue synths. My S4 is connected to my speakers, so it's also my default soundcard in Windows itself.
    I don't have an analogue mixer and I also don't miss having one. I guess it's just what you're used to.

I would just go for the S4, but still keep your other soundcard for future use. You never know when you get more gear and you then realize you don't have the inputs for it

PS: If the size of the S4 is the only thing holding you back, I would just go over the pros vs cons. My opinion is that you'll be throwing out a lot of sample-deck-fun for a smaller unit

i'm currenty in a similar situation, also have a vci and dj2 setup but feel kind of limited. at least a 3rd deck would come handy sometimes and i would prefer to mix external. for me mixing on a normals mixer feels and sounds better. but for good quality the cheapest behringer mixer isn't the way to go.

the s4 sure is a nice piece of gear but it also has its weakness. size is surely an issue if you want to bring it to clubs. the visual feedback looks killer but the glossy eq section covered with fingerprints looks shit i went to the local dj store last week to have a look at the s4 and i wasn't fully satisfied. i gues you shoud test it too before buying.

i currentyl tend to a combo of xone 44, audio dj8, x1 and denon sc2000. just have to rethink a possible mapping to control fx, loops and jogs for 3 decks..

Tech Convert

If I could pick up a used Xone 42 for $500, good deal?
    Then I would need an Audio8DJ as well or something similar?

Pretty much looking at the price of an S4 (plus not selling my existing gear to make up the diff)...

But seems like mixer would be more versatile overall.

I would go with the s4, if you have to take the mixer with you, then the whole point is gone that you like the smaller setup that a vci is. And the set up is easier with a s4, plug and play, no hassle with a sound card.

And i think that if somebody could make a stand for the s4 that is sturdy and expansible in all directions and has just the good height to hoover above most mixers, it's easy to take to a club. Maybe the crane guys could come up with something.

Tech Convert

it's neck and neck in the poll!

carrying around the mixer is not really an issue since there would be a mixer there already. but i mostly mix at home, so that's more important.

but i still can't decide. i will see if i can get the xone 42 for $500 since it's a good deal. if not, i'm going back to the store to play with the s4 again...
    Last edited by ewerx; 12-12-2010 at 11:41 AM.