Can the Midi-Fighter ship with a MIDI OUT?
    Tech Student

Question Can the Midi-Fighter ship with a MIDI OUT?

Hi,

I really want to buy a midi-fighter but I need to make sure I can get one with a MIDI out on it.
    OR... I need to know if it could be easily modified (by someone who knows what they're doing of course) to include a MIDI OUT.

Basically i need one that will run stand alone WITHOUT a computer.

I run an MPC 2500 live on stage with my band. I want the lead singer to be able to trigger samples on my MPC with the Midi-Fighter.

I know the MPC 2500 only has 5 pin midi cable IN, but could it be modified to perhaps support a 7 pin midi cable to carry power to a similar modified Midi-fighter?

If anyone has any knowledge/ideas/suggestions i would really like to hear them!

Thanks!

^^ That won't work for 2 reasons (well sort of):

1) because he needs to go from USB Type B (the square shaped USB port on the MF) to MIDI Male.

2) the Midisport UNO requires a device driver and bus power.

I think the easiest solution is to bring a computer into the mix. Connect the MF and the Midisport UNO to the computer and use any DAW simply as a MIDI router to take the MIDI input from the MF and send it out to the UNO. So basically, you'd have a DAW open (for example, the free infinite demo of Reaper) with a MIDI track's input set to the MF and output set to the UNO, with the output cable of the UNO going to the input of the MPC. With the DAW basically sitting idle, I don't think you'd have to worry about crashes or anything.
    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i7 :: Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.10.5
    Traktor Pro 2.9 :: Launchpad :: MIDI Fighter Pro Beatmasher/3D

Tech Student

Thanks for the comments guys!

The reason I'm using an MPC live is because i don't want to use a computer.
    It's not the 'easiest" way to do things i know, but I'm a bit of a gear junkie.
    I don't like using computers with live band setups... for many reasons, some logical, but mostly it's just a personal preference

Does anyone know whether a 7 pin MIDI cable could carry the needed power to a Midi-Fighter? Of course the Midi-fighter would have to be tampered with in order to support a MIDI cable, but does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks

Tech Student

I just spoke to a guy who custom builds midi controllers and such equipment and he says a 7 pin midi cable's not a good idea. Seeing as the MPC would also have to be modded to support 7 pin.

In that case, has anyone out there ever installed their Midi-fighter with a MIDI OUT and it's own individual power supply?

Thanks

Can yo add a MIDI OUT port to the Midifighter? Well, technically yes, but it will be a royal pain as you have to solve several problems:

• how to power the device with a reliable 5v at 100mA.
    • how to power the MIDI output to the correct levels.
    • how to convert the firmware from USB-MIDI to just MIDI outputs (i.e. to remove the USB library which forms the basis of the main loop and setup stages, reformat all MIDI messages and MIDI parsing to remove the USB header, etc.)
    • how to physically fit a 5-pin DIN socket to two-layer the motherboard without messing up the ground plane or killing any VIAs.

Solve those simple problems and you're free and clear! It would be much easier to buy some arcade buttons and a top-plate and fit them to a different MIDI "brain".

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post
    Can yo add a MIDI OUT port to the Midifighter? Well, technically yes, but it will be a royal pain as you have to solve several problems:

• how to power the device with a reliable 5v at 100mA.
    • how to power the MIDI output to the correct levels.
    • how to convert the firmware from USB-MIDI to just MIDI outputs (i.e. to remove the USB library which forms the basis of the main loop and setup stages, reformat all MIDI messages and MIDI parsing to remove the USB header, etc.)
    • how to physically fit a 5-pin DIN socket to two-layer the motherboard without messing up the ground plane or killing any VIAs.

Solve those simple problems and you're free and clear! It would be much easier to buy some arcade buttons and a top-plate and fit them to a different MIDI "brain".
    Hey thanks heaps, I knew it would be complex, and I had thought that maybe using the Midi-Fighter frame and buttons with a different 'brain' would be another option.
    However that seems fairly complex also... fitting the buttons to a different circuit board I mean.

I do have an Alesis SR-16 that I never use. Could the brain of the Alesis control the MF?

http://www.gearnuts.com/images/items...R16-xlarge.jpg

http://www.dirtcheepdirect.com/image...L-SR16.276.jpg

Don't get into the world of circuit bending and repackaging existing devices until you've had some experience. It'll be very frustrating mainly because you don't have a repertoire of tricks to get the results you want from uncooperative devices.

Better to select a simple device like the MIDI breakout board for an Arduino:

Add an Arduino for $25, download the sketch, hook up the switches, do a little programming and you're good to go.