How do you choose your tracks on the fly?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default How do you choose your tracks on the fly?

I am contemplating getting some kind of graphic organizer for this - so I don't forget what awesome singles I have or what to play next etc, because it is just tough, even with my relatively small collection of music its easy for stuff to just disappear! Oftentimes after djing I think "Oh damn I coulda played that instead!"

What do you guys do? At the moment i just keep my current fav songs on my mind then oftentimes will naturally think of others, but I feel like having some kind of digitized list on my computer would help reawaken certain forgotten artists/etc.

Pg Up/Pg Down

Quote Originally Posted by maxonemillionone View Post
    Pg Up/Pg Down

Comments man.

I've just started doing this, but writing a song that follows well in the comments (or multiple songs) is quite helpful.

I have a PILE of sticky notes on my wall/near the computer as well, but I'm trying to make it actually useful with the software rather than the jumble mess of my desk.

But I know where you are coming from. It really just comes down to practice and knowing your tunes well, and memory is a bitch lol.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Comments is something I'm going to start doing.

Why not try making playlists in iTunes or Traktor and have you current faves in there so you can quickly jump over and scan it for a possible tune?
    I find that keeping things organised helps. Search smart folders on the forums...

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maxonemillionone View Post
    Pg Up/Pg Down
    browse encoder here

i make loads of playlists. Usually I have the main playlist for the night and then other playlists like pop, hip hop, personal favorites. Eventually you start to remember which tracks have similar phase and whatnot so you don't have to think about it too hard.
    2 x Technics 1200 mk5
    Behringer DJX 700
    Traktor Scratch Pro and Audio 8 DJ
    Novation Dicers
    http://soundcloud.com/anok-1

I make a playlist of requests i get during the night, then just pick and choose from that playlist. Probably not the best way, but it guarantees a happy crowd, and more importantly, a happy host, which gets me more money and more gigs.
    The enemy's gate is DOWN.

MacBook Pro | 2.16 Ghz C2D | 120 GB HDD | 3 GB RAM | 250 GB EX HDD
    Mac Pro | 2x2.88 Ghz Quad-Core | 320 GB HDD | 6 GB RAM | 1 TB EX HDD
    Ableton Suite | Akai APC 80 | Torq Xponent

I suck at remembering artist and track names.

Recently…I've given up remembering artist names.

Seriously.

Some of them, I remember just because I happen to remember them or because I'm a fan. Most of the time, it's just extra information for me to forget.

But, my Live set has a lot of songs in it…all of them identified by the title and a short-handed version of the remix name. Artists are nowhere to be found.

It's helped a lot.

Back on vinyl, I'd just remember what the sleeve looked like if it was unique…that's not really an option with digital, since most of the time the cover art is just a generic from the label.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ANok? View Post
    i make loads of playlists. Usually I have the main playlist for the night and then other playlists like pop, hip hop, personal favorites. Eventually you start to remember which tracks have similar phase and whatnot so you don't have to think about it too hard.

This. I use different playlist as subcrates for for a main folder. I also rate songs. I'm starting to use Trainspotter to manage my traktor playlists and add tags. This thing has some serious promise. I don't have the patience of typeing in the comments. I just jump from playlist to playlist within a major folder and sort by rating depending on what time it is, primetime, filler music, etc.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast