College Majors

Thread: College Majors

Tech Guru

Default College Majors

Hello DJTT,

Im currently headed into college and wanted to go into something with music or stage management at big festivals/events sort of thing

anyone have any majors in mind
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

Tech Wizard

E-mail a recruiter at a company you would like to work for, the recruitment department will more than likely be happy to give you advice to the kind of qualifications they'd prefer

Not sure if there any specific majors for that. Audio engineering school?
    BlackBook, MidiFighter, Traktor Kontrol S4, AIAIAI TMA-1, Raw Passion

Tech Guru

yeaa thats something dunno? but i just want to do something with music production, engineering or like live performances in charge of the sound
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

While your choice of major is definitely important, I would not weigh it too heavily (that said, a person with an english literature degree might have a difficult time getting a job as a botanist.) Choose a relevant field that interests you. My take on college (I have a B.S. in environmental science), is that it teaches you how to learn. Your real education begins when you find a career. I recommend volunteering/interning at the types of places you would want to work at. Undergraduate degrees are plentiful these days. What sets people apart from the pack is experience. My 2 cents.
    PC | TSP2 | A8 | S4 | X1 | T1200MK2

Beat Gridding Tutorial

At UMASS Lowell, there's a really interesting program that I wish I had known about when I was entering college.

Bachelor of Music: Sound Recording Technology

The program's goal is to produce musically sophisticated and sensitive professionals who have sufficient technical knowledge to excel in today's rapidly changing, technology-based production industry. Successful students' understanding of the practical and theoretical aspects of the discipline, coupled with comprehensive music training, prepares them for a wide variety of professions. The program combines courses in physics, electrical engineering, computer science and advanced mathematics, with traditional studies in music and at least nine courses in the art and technology of recording.

I know there are other things out there, but a program like this sounds like it really has potential. I didn't go to the school myself, but a good friend of mine did for computer science. If you go into computer science or electrical engineering, you can also minor in sound recording technology, and any of those above options are really solid foundations for success.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

I entered college 2 years ago pretty sure i wanted to be an aerospace engineer. It took me two years of doing what I ended up hating (aerospace) in addition to what i love doing (DJing) for me to realize music was staring me in the face the entire time. I'm looking to transfer to CalArts in Valencia, CA, in their Music Technology: Interaction, Intelligence & Design program!
    The enemy's gate is DOWN.

MacBook Pro | 2.16 Ghz C2D | 120 GB HDD | 3 GB RAM | 250 GB EX HDD
    Mac Pro | 2x2.88 Ghz Quad-Core | 320 GB HDD | 6 GB RAM | 1 TB EX HDD
    Ableton Suite | Akai APC 80 | Torq Xponent

check out srt
    Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.