Traktor s4 and Ableton
    Tech Wizard

Default Traktor s4 and Ableton

With the addition of Sample Decks, the s4 has seemed to try to take some Ableton DJ's. In your opinion, was it successful? Ableton obviously has many more features, but for straight spinning Traktor seems to be superior. I'm curious as to other peoples thoughts on this.

I spin with Ableton.

The S4 coming out has me curious about switching. I should probably say that I was on CDs and/or SSL for a long time…most of it, playing with Live, because it looked like the future. This spring, I bought a VCM-600, though I was originally saving up for a xone:dx. I sold my turntables, my SL1, and some other stuff…and I switched entirely to Live.

I haven't regretted it.

When I saw the S4, I laughed at it as a cheap xone:dx knock-off (even though even cheaper things technically came first) … and then I started actually paying attention.

The thought has crossed my mind to switch, because the very few things that the VCM-600 and Live 8 don't do fluidly (mostly having to do with looping on the fly), the S4 (or xone:dx) seem to excel at.

I don't think I'd lose much by switching, but I don't know if it'll be any more fun either.

I wish I could find a place to really try it out, or–failing that–just afford to sink $900-$1400 on each of them to play with for a month…return them…and then see if I actually want to buy one. I might do that in the spring, but unlike my turntables, I can't see giving up my VCM for it.

The sad thing is that if the VCM had a few endless encoders laid out the right way, I wouldn't even think about it.

A bit OT, but did anybody else feel like developing an Ableton mapping for the S4? With the sample and cue buttons I think you might be able to make a nice two deck style mapping for it. I don't have a lot of Ableton experience, so could somebody tell me if I'm completely wrong?
    MBP 13" - Kontrol S4 - nanoKontrol - DHJ-500 - Hercules DJ Console MK1
    Find me on: Facebook, Soundcloud
    Quote Originally Posted by space monkey View Post
    Hi Karlos! I have a lawnmower, do you like grapes?

Tech Guru

sure ableton has many more features than traktor, but ableton "djing" is probably the furthest thing from djing that can still be called djing. i think the two softwares are targeting two completely different markets so aren't necessarily in direct competition with eachother.

i think as far as djing goes ableton appeals more to non-djs than anything else, where as traktor appeals to people who more often than not learned the ropes on turntables (or CDJs) and understand and love the craft of djing in the classic sense of the term.

the sample decks were a needed and welcome innovation for traktor, but i wouldn't say they were trying to scoop up ableton users - it was just a necessary part of traktor's evolution.

Tech Mentor

I use Ableton, and even though I'm interested in S4, the way Traktor works doesn't make me switch (back). More or less locked user interface, which is based on "traditional" dj layout isn't optimal for samples/loop based djing. To make the point, in Ableton using one Launchpad I could have 64 music clips behind their own buttons, ready to use, and that's without scrolling anywhere. Not to mention launching them in scenes.

I think S4 is cool and worthwhile if you are more into 2 deck mixing with light sample/loop using. I just can't give up the freedom of layout and choosing & creating your own effects (+ my setup is lighter to carry)
    @Twumpy