DVJ Set of the future - Which one would you prefer?
    Tech Student

Default DVJ Set of the future - Which one would you prefer?

DVJ Set of the future - Which one would you prefer?

Hi there, I currently doing a bit of research to setup the DVJ set of the future. At the moment I've worked out three systems which meet my standards. My question to you guys is which one would you prefer:

I've got about 4000 euro's to lay with

setup A:

Ableton Live 8 on one laptop to play all my music files.
    Resolume Avenue on the second laptop for al my videos.
    MIDIoverLan sync is used to sync the music from Ableton and the video's in Resolume.
    APC20/APC40 MIDI controller to trigger both audio- and videofiles via MIDI messages.

setup B:

Denon DJ set 2 x DN-s3700 + DN-X1600 mixer (using V-link to talk to my Roland Edirol V8)
    One laptop using Serato Scratch Live, connected to the Rane SL3 with SL Videoplugin to be able to play MP4 videofiles n sync with audio.
    (extra option: Edirol V8+ one laptop with Resolume avenue for more video features and to ad some cool effects to the videotex)

setup C:

One laptop/ desktop used to run Töken Emulator from Smithson Martin (www.smithsonmartin.com) with the Serato SL, Rane SL3 and the SL Video plugin again to sync both audio and video files. The Serato SL Emulator version will be released in May 2011 which allows me to save up some money .
    The 42" multitouchscreen interface to control the emulated version of Serato SL and to use it as a MIDI controller which is fully functional with other software as Resolume and Ableton (Ableton Bridge) as this software allows MIDI learning options and MIDI mapping.
    Benq MP51st projector to beam the interface on the 3mm glas surface which is connected by USB to the computer.

I prefer setup C but what are your thoughts?

I'm doing this research for a school graduation project so please reply because the more info i have the better my changes of graduating.

Kind Regards

Henry Jalink - Escapation
    DVJ Genialink

Serato, SL3, SL-Video all in one package
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Mentor

Dude, you are a gear whore. You really don't need all that fancy stuff, that's crazy talk. Get SSL and the video plug-in, 2 CDJ's (newer ones) and a Rane 57. Maybe the Rane 68 if you're feeling crazy rich.
    Have you considered where you will get the video files from? They're much harder to get than MP3s. Not every song has a video to go with it either...

Tech Mentor

Personally I would go with VDMX for VJ software. Crazy cool routings and layers that you can use between audio and video software. Possibly something like the OHM 64 for a controller. Looks like APC40's dont last very long. I have had mine for a year and the faders are crapping out, along with many others. I take good care of my gear too. I would also be getting Firewire Cameras for Live feed and feedback. Cameras you can daisy chain together, but VDMX will capture each one individually. And spend the rest on high powered projectors, and scrim set ups.

And as suggested, you might want to purchase some video processing software to create or edit you own material. Unless you like all the stock bullshit floating around the net.

Dont Pioneer have some gear for DVJs? Shouldn't be that expensive, I've heard they aren't that expensive.

lol.

Tech Mentor

Pioneer makes DVJs. Those seem like a pretty elegant solution, a little old-school though. If you're starting from scratch keep it simple! Super simple.