Scotty, we need more power! (Another Traktor running on netbook)
    Tech Convert

Default Scotty, we need more power! (Another Traktor running on netbook)

Yes I've seen threads like this around and read as many as possible. Yes, more power is better, and yes a mac would be sweet, but lets just have a few assumptions:

I'm stuck with a netbook, I'm stuck with win 7.

My goal is to use an s4 with my netbook. Ambitious goal I know, and if it doesn't work out not the end of the world, but let me tell you just how close I am:

**I've got 8 loops in the sample decks (stored on local drive, loops that ship with the software)
    **Along with those 8 loops I have two full tracks going with keylock and synced (so one is tempo shifted the other probably isnt but the keylock is on)(same deal as above, sample track that ships with software)
    **I had TEN effects layered at one point.

So I'm thinking WOW this is going to work!

This is all going off the internal built in sound card which only has one stereo output. So I plug in an Audio 4 DJ interface, let that get fired up, go through the same optimization steps, fire up traktor, and boom guess what. Performance SUCKED. I think I got all 8 sample slots playing but after that I just started getting garbled audio.

Is there any reason a nice external card like this would perform so much worse than the internal one?

I'm going to post this on the NI forums too I think, because I'm thinking it's an issue with the driver for the card or something. But if anyone else has any idea what's up.

Also, don't worry I'll post a 'how-to' on how I got my netbook to perform that well (with the internal card at least). But it basically consisted of the usual optimization stuff you read about, along with some over clocking.

Have you tried using your KS4?
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Yeah it sounds like a driver issue. Some drivers are notorious for bogging ram, especially Digidesign drivers.

I'd try your S4's sound card. Also, you may need to adjust the latency in the settings. This could definitely give you garbled audio if set incorrectly

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    Have you tried using your KS4?
    don't actually have one, been beta tester for a long time so i've got all kinds of hardware / software but haven't bit the bullet on the s4 yet (destination wedding in dec so getting married etc, budget is minimal)

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Villinus View Post
    Yeah it sounds like a driver issue. Some drivers are notorious for bogging ram, especially Digidesign drivers.

I'd try your S4's sound card. Also, you may need to adjust the latency in the settings. This could definitely give you garbled audio if set incorrectly
    You're just saying digidesign as an anecdote right? I dont think the A4DJ had anything with DD in it??

Anyway what should i do with the latency? I tweaked the hell out of it but can't seem to get one that works. I pushed the buffer up as high as possible and that helped some, but not a lot. Not sure what more i need to do.

Thinking I'll run to the local audio shop and plug in one of their demo s4's to try it out.