Beginner, please don't hate. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If your patient you can get a VCI-100 used for pretty good prices now because of the new S4 controller. You'll need a sound card though which will add to the cost.
    and the fact that there's a vci 100 mkII
    Mixes and Productions on Soundcloud

VCI-100 SE - DJ I/O - MacBook Pro 13" - TMA-1 Headphones

Tech Convert

Not to kick a dead horse (this thread) but I just want to thank you guys so much for all the help. I am currently looking at some VCI 100's but if all else fails I think I might just go the Numark Mixtrack (not pro so I have a sound card) route because they seem like a good sturdy and cheap beginner unit with traktor.

But again THANKS! and I will see you round probably asking dumb techniques questions for you to waste more time on me and hopefully a mix in the near future.

Just a word of warning, if you plan on taking DJing semi seriously, think about paying once for pro quality gear (like the VCI) rather than picking up something which you later have to upgrade from and pay again.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Just a word of warning, if you plan on taking DJing semi seriously, think about paying once for pro quality gear (like the VCI) rather than picking up something which you later have to upgrade from and pay again.

Yeah.....I would agree with the above....but he did state that he is totally new to it.....so maybe a startup kit of something decent is not a bad idea.

Once you recon you keen on this....upgrade....and upgrade PROPER...as per above.

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Mentor

I started with a Numark Total Control and it has worked great for me for about a year and a half, it's getting a bit rickety now though and I'm ready to upgrade it. But as has been said, I would have hated to blow a grand on equipment and then realise that DJing wasn't for me. Lucky it is for me! Good luck
    Mixes and Productions on Soundcloud

VCI-100 SE - DJ I/O - MacBook Pro 13" - TMA-1 Headphones

Tech Convert

Yeah lost the bid on the VCI 100 and for now this is just for a bit of fun, if I do ever get seriously into it, which I do have every hope happens, I will get some GQ gear. But for now I think the Mixtrack will do just fine. Just 1 little question, in selling an old phone of mine tomorrow I will have some moneys to blow on the mixtrack (not pro) but will be short for another coupe weeks on the sound card. Can I still play around with it using my MBP without a sound card, just having it playing one channel directly out of laptop speaker or any speakers I might find lying around. Basically I want to know will I end up giving into temptation and skipping rent moneys and getting a sound card instead or can I still have a bit of a play around without one. Remember absolute rookie here and sorry if I offend any audiophiles that think the sound card is crap or you can't dj without headphones, etc.

Tech Wizard

Hey buddy,

This is a true story...

I started out about six months ago after being shown the basics while on holiday.

As soon as I got back I bought a hercules steel (+ vdj 6 demo) and a cheapo usb soundcard (about 10 AUD) with 3.5 to rca cables running into my hifi with ipod headphones
    I slowly started buying bits second hand like monitoring speakers and headphones until I had a half decent setup.

It was pretty ghetto but it wasn't too expensive and it allowed me to learn the basics and find out if I was really into it.

Happily I was, so I moved over to traktor after stumbling on this site.

When I saw the S4 I knew I had to have it, it just looked so much fun so I've got my hercules as a backup now for when I go away for weekends etc.

Anyway, I suggest the hercules steel (or the rmx with the builtin soundcard).
    It's very rugged and has some very decent mappings for vdj and traktor.

But, on a critical note the buttons are a bit "clunky". Not really an issue until you want to do a bit of cue point bizness.

My two cents.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by GiGo View Post
    Yeah lost the bid on the VCI 100 and for now this is just for a bit of fun, if I do ever get seriously into it, which I do have every hope happens, I will get some GQ gear. But for now I think the Mixtrack will do just fine. Just 1 little question, in selling an old phone of mine tomorrow I will have some moneys to blow on the mixtrack (not pro) but will be short for another coupe weeks on the sound card. Can I still play around with it using my MBP without a sound card, just having it playing one channel directly out of laptop speaker or any speakers I might find lying around. Basically I want to know will I end up giving into temptation and skipping rent moneys and getting a sound card instead or can I still have a bit of a play around without one. Remember absolute rookie here and sorry if I offend any audiophiles that think the sound card is crap or you can't dj without headphones, etc.
    You will be fine messing around, i'm using my phone headphones out of my laptop for messing around now, it's not really a problem.

Tech Convert

@sweens yeah i looked at some of those but i thought getting a soundcard now will make an upgrade later on that little bit less difficult. The only reason i asked was just to see if i got a mix track today will i sit there looking at it and wishing i could use it or would i still be able to have a play around until i got the sound card. All the reviews of the mixtrack look good apart from the traktor mapping issues but i have the map file already so thats solved also its availiable locally with a good warranty.

Tech Wizard

Just like you I'm working on a budget. I got my vci-100 for £220 from ebay and today I picked up some speakers and an amp. I've played a couple of gigs where I just had to plug in but a bar I'm about to play doesn't have a system for me to use hence the system. Again, another ebay bargain at £250 saving me about £200 on the new price. My music I've collecting over the years and can't put a price on that. I've got the firmware kit delivered so plan to flash my vci once I get an old laptop from a friend.
    I have been looking at the new S4 and the NS7 as possible future upgrade but that will have to wait until bookings can pay for one. To be honest I LOVE MY VCI

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123