Beginner, please don't hate.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Beginner, please don't hate.

I would like to start off by mentioning that you all probably can see this is my first post. I am looking for some advice on my first Digital DJ set up (*winces in fear*). I have read through most of the articles on the site and found them pretty helpful and have read a lot about the products but if you guys can just point to a comparative review of the following products or even just shoot them down one at a time (forum style).

I will start off by saying I do not have that much money, I live in Australia so that may limit some availability of goods, although with todays internet and the scene over here looking pretty strong I doubt that. I am not really sure what direction I will go music wise so the broader the genres I can mix and play around with the better. I have 0 experience as a DJ except i guess DJ hero (so make that negative 1 experience). I have about 400AUD to play around with and was thinking of the following decks.

Vestax Spin
    Vestax Typhoon (logically a better option, I notice everyone here really likes the VCI-100 so maybe this is a good idea?)
    Hercules e2
    Hercules MK4
    EKS XP5.

I have a 13inch MacBook Pro so I will be working off OSX, and I am a bit of a geek so I am all up for playing around with the hardware and set up. One last time, no prior experience and thanks for being nice.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

If your patient you can get a VCI-100 used for pretty good prices now because of the new S4 controller. You'll need a sound card though which will add to the cost.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Convert

Addition: Found one on eBay, no sound card, also is it strange to not have a power lead only a USB lead?

recommended sound card?
    Last edited by GiGo; 11-08-2010 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Addition, not wanting to repost.

Personics Firebox or whatever.

The biggest issue for you is going to be cost. I know it is for me. What it comes down to is buying something NOW that you'll want to upgrade from in a few months (and then still be broke from buying what you have), or possibly waiting a few months to save up the bit additional that you need for that controller you would really want.

I'm taking the waiting game myself. Gives you more time to salivate over your various options, but I know I'm not going to be unhappy when I make my final decision.

With your budget and options though, if you did want to get something, I'd recommend either the Hercules Steel with Audio 2 DJ or the Numark Mixtrack with Audio 2 DJ. I say with a separate soundcard because it leaves you open to get another controller in the future that could make use of it. Those are the two best "bang for your buck" out of the less expensive options IMO.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by GiGo View Post
    is it strange to not have a power lead only a USB lead?
    no, pretty standard except for bigger units like the S4.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

HATE! just kidding. I think AUD exchange is pretty close to US, so this should be pretty accurate. i would still say be patient and go with a VCI-100 and an audio 2 dj; I say be patient, b/c you'll have to look around for a deal as new this might still run you around 600. Plus, it comes w/ traktor le, so you can put off buying software for awhile. I have friends who have the torq xponent and the hercules rmx (both have built-in soundcards) and love them too, if you want cheaper options.

Tech Mentor

hey mate im from australia to

best bet is to wait for a vci 100 for sale.. best controller and would be a steal to get one for $400 bucks
    First Mix, have a listen you know you want to
    http://soundcloud.com/mattybruce/spr...-daddy-mixtape

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Addition: Found one on eBay, no sound card, also is it strange to not have a power lead only a USB lead?

recommended sound card?
    Many controllers don't come with power leads.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Beginner, please don't hate.
    I hate a Drug Dealer Because that's what I am

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast