If you get a gig....

View Poll Results: Do you make a set play list? Mix on the fly? Or a little bit of both?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • I make a set playlist

3 15.00%
  • I mix on the fly

4 20.00%
  • I do a lil bit of both

13 65.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default If you get a gig....

do you make a set playlist beforehand? or do you just start playing music and mix in songs on the fly?

thoughts?

DELL XPS M1710 : MOTU Ultralite : VCI-100
    dirty electro funky hip house:eek:

Surely it depends on the gig, but most of the time you can never plan an evening, you never know the crown before your with them! Ofcourse you can think of some cool tracks to play, but at the end, it always comes down to the given atmosphere. If the crown is going mad at 10pm your premade deephouse-set ain't gonna satisfy that many

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I try to show up with a basic idea of tracks I want to spin through the night, or interesting transitions I've come up with through the week or two since I last spun. But beyond that who knows what'll happen.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

mixing on the fly(one newer knows where the story goes ),but with well heard(and played)tracks.
    i make a favorites folder for every gig with about 150 tracks.
    Last edited by orca; 04-29-2008 at 02:20 PM.

i actually do a little bit of both.. i have some tracks that i want to play, that i know will mix together good before hand...and then kind of just mix on the fly in and around those tracks.

Same here.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by wgdavis78 View Post
    i actually do a little bit of both.. i have some tracks that i want to play, that i know will mix together good before hand...and then kind of just mix on the fly in and around those tracks.
    This. A selection of tracks I want to play, maybe a couple transitions I came up with while practicing.

cool! i just wanted to see what other people are doing..which is why i made this poll. thanks for all yoru input guys!

Tech Guru

Def a bit of both. I love my setup for this tho.

How my setup works its kinda premade but on the fly at the same time.
    I have a large number of 2 track sets in which i know the two tracks work together really well (sometime 2 mix's of the same track) all of which are graphically marked by key (ie colour wheel linked to key .ala. Moldover), I then use harmonic mixing to mix those two track sets into another two track set so that even tho I may have never done that mix before I know it should work (thus avoiding massive train-wrecks).

My setup is weird tho. But I love it. Remote 25 SL + Ableton + Compression (sidechain) = OSSSOME

You should practice, practice, practice to not just hone your skill, but also know what songs go well with each other. So, technically, you can mix on the fly... but, you know kind of in your mind what direction and flow you can take from all that practice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast