Which macbook Pro for Traktor S4 - 15", 13" or Air?
    Tech Mentor

Default Which macbook Pro for Traktor S4 - 15", 13" or Air?

Anyone have any screen shots? I am thinking of upgrading my laptop to a macbook and I am really in a bind.

I will use this laptop for surfing the net and Traktor S4 so it does not need to be loaded with i7 cpu with 8 gigs of ram. Here are the downsides to my selection.

1. MBP 15" - expensive and big/heavy for travelling which I do alot of.
    2. MBP 13" - Not sure if S4 software will look good on this screen or if it is too small. With the browse button this might be it. I need to see a screen shot of a 13" MBP with 4 deck control and all the options like grid control and faders. Probably my first choice since the air has some downside too.
    3. Air 13" 2.13Ghz - Only two usb ports, but screen resolution is same as 15". Need usb for S4, X1, external hdd so I will need a powered usb hub.

Any thoughts and also pics of possibly the S4 software on a 13" mbp and the new air if anyone is currently running that.

If you're just using it for the net and traktor, what about the standard macbook, and get a student to buy it for you, you'll save some serious cash.

I would go for the Air if you do a lot of traveling--less weight will be nice if you do a lot of gigs.

More importantly, get the education discount!
    BlackBook, MidiFighter, Traktor Kontrol S4, AIAIAI TMA-1, Raw Passion

Tech Mentor

only like 100 bucks for students. not that impressive of a discount

Check out the relative 'muscle' of the mac lines.

I saved £400 on my macbook with my Apple Affiliated university, which i believe means a greater discount than the standard education one.

Imo 13" is great i've had mine for 2 going on 3 years know still works great, great size i use it with TP atm havnt got my s4 yet so i cant tell you what it looks like with the sample decks on, But with 2 fx decks one full deck and a mini deck you still have almost 2 inches for browsing but you can do that full screen anyway which is easily accessible from the s4 thats just my opinion.

On the education discount, dude $100 is $100 why not you could almost go pick up some new cans for that much or some other nicies
    Last edited by DJMilk3y; 11-11-2010 at 03:26 AM.

Tech Guru

i use a mid 2010 13" MBP with TSP. i dont use internal mixing, but with four channels it looks grand! i have an encoder mapped to maximize and minimise my folder browser, so have never felt the need for more screen real estate
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

I have a MBP 15" i7, and it runs TPS and S4 like a dream. I dont find the extra weight to be much of an issue and I travel with it frequently. I for one appreciate the extra real estate of the larger display, and I think there is a noticeable difference. I also do programming so need the extra horse power. All in all I luv my MPB. Couple it with boot camp and parallels and it has now replaced my desktop and is a great base for my rig.

Tech Mentor

I knew you would chime in. I went to take a look today at the MBP and MBAir.

I think the MBP is the only way to go. I love the air but the problem is the screen size. It is noticably smaller than the 13" MBP even though the AIR is supposedly 13" too. Maybe its the higher resolution but something is throwing me off. I think I might get the MBP 13"