Best controller to go with my exisiting setup?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Best controller to go with my exisiting setup?

I purchased TSP and an Audio 8 last year to go with my set of Pioneer CDJ-1000 (MK-1) and Pioneer DJM-600 Mixer. It allowed me to leave several hundred pounds of CDs at home and opened up many possibilities. Unfortunately, many of the features on my CDJs (hot cues, loops, etc) don't work with TSP in scratch mode and it is difficult to try and use the laptop to kick off many of the features within TSP.

Because of these limitations and the desire to lighten the load again, I'd like to move to a controller. I hate to throw away the considerable investment I made in the audio-8 and TSP. I've been looking at the VCI-300 and Kontrol S4, but there's no price break for S4 and the VCI-300 is almost as much.

Any advice to maximize my existing investment and move to a controller? Thanks.

Tech Guru

You could always just get a midifighter or something for your loops etc.? Or better yet, make your own.

Bet you'll be seeing a bunch of used VCI-100s in the coming months. Start there.

Tech Student

I should have been a bit more clear. I really don't want to add another device to my setup to fill in the gaps. I could add a X1 or midi fighter, but that is more gear to have to find space for and with 2 CDJs, mixer and the laptop, I don't usually have space left over in the booth.

If I go with a VCI-100, do I still need the audio-8? Thanks for the quick replies!

Ah. X1 all the way bruddah.

Honestly? I'd wait a little bit.

I believe that the Kontrol S4 is probably going to be the best bet for you in the long run. But you are going to want to wait for time-code support until you make the switch.

That way, you would use the Kontrol S4 for 2 decks, and then your CDJ's for 2 decks, and use the S4 controller for your mixer and your audio interface.

Given your setup, and what it sounds like you would like to do, that's the route I personally would go in your shoes. It would free you up to sell your mixer and audio interface/TSP. And so, the investment toward the S4 becomes less, and you open up a lot of possibilities.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Defo upgrade your setup with a X1, it'll allow you the hot cues and the loops, also to control effects, in your configuration that seems the best thing

If you are looking for some simple control with low footprint; then a pair of Novation Deicers could be what you are looking for...

MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

Tech Guru

don't get the 300 unless you plan on using it with Itch. I have one and love it with Itch - but it's painful with Traktor. The VCI-100 is a much better option. With the 100 you need a soundcard. You could keep the Audio 8 or slim down to an Audio 2. Like everyones a bunch of these will be for sale soon with the explosion of the S4. You could always ditch the CDJ's and add two X1's. Not sure how much you use your jogs on the CDJ's.

I will tell you thought, the S4 is a sweet peice of gear and replaces all of that in a much more compact controller with tons of features.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

S4 and an X1 or midi fighter.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast