Took the plunge

Thread: Took the plunge

Default Took the plunge

After DJing 20+ years with vinyl & CD's, I'm finally taking the plunge. Yesterday I took advantage of the NI 50% off sale and bought Traktor Scratch Pro and also 2 of these...

I gotta wait a week or two before it all arrives but I'm like a giddy little school girl right now. Thanks to all on this forum as I've spent the better part of a year reading and learning from you all. It really is a great Forum and community that's been created here and wouldn't happen without all of your input and positivity.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Guru

Will be a solid setup, i'm quite jealous. Good luck with it!

Ps. Did you intentionally misspell Genius in your sig?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I'm glad you went the Denon route. We have plenty of people with the S4 and it seemed like you really wanted the Denon stuff. I expect a full review soon
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Are you mixing internally? If not, which mixer are you gonna go for?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

@Maxted What Misspelling?

@Photojojo I'll review it for sure but can only give comments in comparison to CD DJing as I haven't used a midi controller up until now. I've used loops, samples & Effects in the past as my mixer and cd decks are capable but I'm looking forward to having more control over them with this setup.

@Patch Yeah I'll mix externally four channels out of Traktor through the audio8 and into my Tascam X9 mixer. That was one of the deciding factors in choosing this setup. I really love my mixer and no "all in one" controller could give me the all the features I wanted. The X9 has parametric eq's(which I LOVE, why don't more DJ mixers have this?) and both crossfader & up fader curve control. Another feature I love is being able to "map" channels 1 & 2 to channels 3 & four of the mixer and add effects to those channels, giving me both wet & dry on channels faders, although I may use this less now that I have access to all the onboard Traktor FX. At any rate, with this setup I can also keep a turntable or two hooked up for those nights where I wanna go "old school"
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Hey mate, that controller looks really similar to the one I use:

so thought I'd chuck up a link for you to my .tsi. Obviously wont be perfect but if you wanted a good base to make your own from I think it would complement the denon really well, especially for effects as the setup of the endless encoders are pretty similar.
    Anyway, here if you want it!

Thanks so much for that, I'll check it out once everything arrives but I'll probably start with the default .tsi that comes with it and remap as necessary. That controller is definitely similar, how did I miss that one? This is the first I've hear/seen of it.

Had it for just over a year. Probably missed it because it's from dj-tech and they have an awful reputation (haha). Honestly man this thing is incredible, haven't seen anything that has even come close to tempting me away from it. I also haven't found one function in Traktor that I can't control with it.
    Do the encoders on the denon double as a button as well? I think that's just about the best think on the kontrol one. I use them to switch effects (push and turn) and also change between advanced/chained.
    Its build quality is pretty poor though. Touch sensitive jogs are really good but I've replaced just about every tact switch, but apparently the first batch of these had a manufacturer default so who knows.

Anyway, just thought i'd share!