Buttons to Effects
    Tech Wizard

Default Buttons to Effects

Hey everyone!

I am a new member, long-time lurker, and longer-time fan of the site (and a huge fan of everything that comes out of here). I have a question that I've tried googling both the internet and searching the forums, but haven't gotten any luck with an answer, so if it's something obvious I missed, I'm sorry!

First off, I started DJing a few weeks (a month?) ago after having an interest but no funds for about 8 years. I talked to a DJ at a club I went to and bugged him about his gear, and he was very cool and basically inspired me to start DJing (resale value, how long controllers tend to last, etc). So a few days later I bought a Numark Mixtrack with an Audio 2 DJ, spent $30 on Beatport, and loaded up my other collection of songs and started mixing. Well, because I'm irresponsible and NI has that crazy sale goin on, I bought Traktor Pro full and have been constantly hacking away on it. For Christmas, I begged my family to buy me Traktor Scratch Pro, and then I'm getting myself some tables and a nice 4-channel mixer.

What I'm interested in is using my MIDI keyboard to control various things during my live performances (yes, I played 3 hours at a friend's house, got complemented very nicely and made $1 for my performance in terms of a fee not a tip, so technically, I am a professional DJ already ). I have my keyboard (Axiom 25, 1st Gen) set to do various things like 8 cue points on the pads (shift key toggles between A(default) and B), and I have it mapped to beatjump (4 or 8 left or right, depending on shift again) and setting fixed-length loops and such.

Now, the gist of this thread, I have a few questions (and a problem with brevity), I experimented and neglected my family for about 4 hours last night, but I couldn't figure out how to do a loop roll (loop while note/button is held down), the button option for setting and activating a loop only allows a trigger of activate or deactivate the loop. What's a good way to do this? Am I completely missing something obvious here? I honestly feel like I am.

My next question concerns the effects mappings like on the Traktor dicer mappings. First off, should the TSI viewer linked be able to show me the parameters for that? I get an issue saying it's neither a keyboard, nor MIDI mapping, which I'm sure is wrong (because it's definitely a MIDI device), but I can't view any non-qwerty-keyboard mappings with it. Anyway, what I want to do is have a key load a certain effect with a certain parameter (or set of) that's on as long as the note is held down, so something like beatmasher or LFO-based effects like in the demo video immediately come to mind. Something so I could chain effects without having to twiddle knobs and push too many buttons on the other side of my setup. (pressing two or three keys instead of three seeks, setting parameters from memory, then activating individually).

One thing I did that, I thought, was worth knowing, is getting the axiom 25s pots to be rotary encoders, and assigning them more natural numbers and what not. This allows me to increment or decrement an effect by turning a knob, rather than finding where it was first, then going to where I want it to go. It was a bit tricky, because their documentation is awkward unless you're really familiar with MIDI already (I am, I hack a lot with hardware as a Computer Engineer, so that's good) I can share my layout and everything when I get it done how I like it, if anybody's interested.

Again, if this is stupid, easy, and easily found or something just let me know. I'm by no means just screaming into the tubes hoping for someone to do the work for me (without any previous effort that is )

Thanks!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

The tsi viewer doesn't work any more with the new version of Traktor.

Experiment with the beatmasher effect for the loop roll.

Check this thread for your FX/button question.

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...ghlight=button
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

That makes sense, I was able to pull the keyboard mappings out in a csv, so I thought that something went bad on my end.

And I will take a look at the suggestions you posted, and try to figure out some combination.

Thanks!

Tech Guru

Yeah, beatmasher with the right settings is good for a loop roll type effect. In this case, making the button type as "hold" is your friend. If you wanted to do things using loops, as you initially posted, you can assign the activate loop to the first button push, then assign the deactivate to the same button but with "invert" checked, so that the loop deactivates when you release the button. Also, look into the fx snapshots. This is a handy way to get your optimal/chosen settings instantly when you load the effect. No fiddly setting parameters before you let 'er rip.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Tech Wizard

If I'm using chained mode, what do the values in beatmasher2 roughly correspond to? it's 0 to 100, I assume they scale from something like 16 bars (if my terminology is right) to 1/16. Is it that simple or do I need to fsck with it in chained mode to be precise? I just want a few buttons to get a dedicated repeat 2 beats, 1 beat, 1/4 of a beat, 1/16. Maybe a few more, depending on those, but these values seem to sound good with the looper, I just hate how I can't do that quickly enough, you know?

Maybe mapping loops might be the best idea, I just hesitate on it because it seems simple and I don't see it a lot anywhere, especially around these parts.

has anyone come across mapping for m-audio axiom 25 for traktor scratch pro? many thanks...

@gamblor166
    I'd say experiment with the Axiom-25. The mappings are going to be "your" settings for "your rig".

I use SSL, and my mappings are pretty confusing with other DJ's, and it goes over their heads.

Ean has an Oxygen-8 mapping you can probably take a look at and check for ideas.

Default DjWindzOne

hey thanks for reply.. im new to midi really the only thing i wan to do is to control fx.. beatmasher, phaser and so on and maybe que points..

thanks

^ It's like Pringles. . .Once you pop, YOU JUST CAN'T STOP!. . .seriously!

(I have $300 worth of midi that I hardly use to testify to that!)

Quote Originally Posted by NemSim View Post
    If I'm using chained mode, what do the values in beatmasher2 roughly correspond to? it's 0 to 100, I assume they scale from something like 16 bars (if my terminology is right) to 1/16. Is it that simple or do I need to fsck with it in chained mode to be precise? I just want a few buttons to get a dedicated repeat 2 beats, 1 beat, 1/4 of a beat, 1/16. Maybe a few more, depending on those, but these values seem to sound good with the looper, I just hate how I can't do that quickly enough, you know?

Maybe mapping loops might be the best idea, I just hesitate on it because it seems simple and I don't see it a lot anywhere, especially around these parts.
    Did you find a solution NemSim? The midifighter deckalized mapping has almost exactly that function on the 3rd row of buttons in normal mode so you might want to load that up and have a look at the values.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES